A cab to go with a GK head

Devinstation

• Members

I'm looking at getting the newer GK Backline 600 head. 300 watts, and I need a cab to go with it. I don't know If I like the GK cabs too much and I was wondering what cab you guys would think would sound good with it? Im thinking 4x10 cab. The head is $300 brand new shipped from Musicians Friend, So I'd Like the cab to be > or = $300.

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

I can get a GK 410 Cab for 300 bucks brand new as well. I think I might just go ahead and match up the backline series, if the cab doesnt get the sound i want I can always drop in new speakers.

The GK 410 cab doesnt sound bad at all. Pretty punchy. For the money its a nice cab.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

• Members

Just got back from shopping. Went in and saw the Ashdown MAg 300R, Nevermind GK this thing blew me away, Id heard they were good but my local shop never carried them, but they just got a half stack (4x10 cab with blue speakers, 300 dollars wouldnt you know it?) in today and I was the second to play it (the owner was first). I played for a good 30 minutes and have decided thats the amps I want. Right in my price range. But should I just get the head or the Rackmountable version, I dont have anything else to rackmount.

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

I like a lot of attack for my bass, as well as good low end. I know those eminence speakers have good low end, but what about the attack? How much punch?

Avatar cabs are fairly flat response. If you want more attack, just boost the Ashdown's highs. More lows, hit the deep switch and boost the lows and low mids a bit.

The Ashdown/Avatar rig is fairly transparent, in that how you play will greatly reflect the tone that comes out of it. I can get many RHCP or Tool tones using the right EQ and bass using an Avatar 2x10 and my Ashdown. The 2x12 would be better for heavy lows, as the 2x10 kinda misses some of that extreme low end. The 4x10 or 1x15 might do it too.

I've also owned a GK 400RB-III, using the same gear. The Ashdown is a better complement to the Avatar cabs overall. The GK can get a bit more aggressive but the Ashdown is warmer and has a more musical low end when you really crank it, and more bass response overall.

Ashdown cabs are a little bassier than Avatars, but lack the attack. They also have less midrange so at least the MAG series tend to get lost in a mix if you don't use tons of mids in your EQ.

• Members

Used Gk 800rb with hartke 4x10 bi-amped with trace 18+10...worked great for big rooms..just the 4x10 for smaller...and with an ampeg 8x10 recently (bought an SVT) after but the GK pushed 8x10 fine too. CLEAN PUNCH. Prefer the 70's SVT so the GK is relegated to back-up duty but still a keeper and going strong after 16-17 yrs.!!!:thu:

Archived