I decided which Jazz bass to get....

Caroway

• Members

I walked into a place called The Music Store here in Tulsa, OK. They are having a huge 34th anniversary Sale on Saturday and I went over there to see what they had. I didn't really see anything I liked. Then the owner shows me this.

0194460700_xl.jpg

$917.00.......50% off list cuz they've had it for a while

:eek: , but wait it gets better...

I went to GC to buy a set of string for my Les Paul Studio and I get to talking to my friend Christian (asst. Manager @ GC, known him for about 8 years.) and he said, "You know I can match that and get you a new one from the factory."

:D :D :eek:

So next week he is ordering it for me.

Brand new Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass.

I have also decided to sell my G&L SB-2. Pm me if you are interested.

I am really excited. Those play so nice.

• Members
Originally posted by Gruven

There's a huge markup on instruments so there's a lot of room to 'deal'.

Don't ever pay the tagged price, especially at GC. It seems like they'd rather not profit as much, and take the sale from another retailer.

I can dig that, but from talking to a few independent dealers, there seems to be a cutoff point price wise that if they go below and are found out, they stand a chance of losing disturbution privlages.

• Members

I don't believe that Fender would penalise their largest retailer over the store losing a bit of profit. Fender still gets their money. I understand your point, but GC buys an awful lot of Fender merchandise. I've been told that 'Musicians Friend' and 'Guitar Center' are the same company.

Kinda' sad when you think about it. We lost a few 'mom and pop' shops around here, when GC came to town, because they couldn't compete.

Originally posted by M-1 Fan

I tried to sell my 2002 Jazz Bass on eBAY. I paid $1,400 for it when I bought it new. It's an American Standard Jazz Bass. I didn't put a reserve price on it and the most it got to was $350. Does no one need Jazz Basses anymore?

I think that people are slightly afraid of buying big ticket items on evilBay. I also believe that it's not the best way to sell your stuff.

In my experience, everyone that searches eBay, for anything, is searching for the lowest possible price. Most savvy eBayers will wait until the end and 'snipe' for the lowest possible price. If your item hasn't attracted much attention, you lose.

• Members

really a beautiful jazz bass!

i just got one custom made by a really great jazz bass freak... a few things are different from a normal jazz bass.

first, it's a super long scale bass (35") because i wanted to use whole bass tuned to D, because i don't wanna miss the b string too bad and it gives the g string more bass. so with the super long scale the string are as tight as they should be.

the bass has tesla humbuckers... cheap corean pickups but they sound awesome! i can split them to single coils which sounds very traditional, or i can use the humbuckers parallel and serial. serial boosts the low mids and makes it quite aggressive. all in all i would say it came out as a great rock bass, it has a full sound which can also be sexy in a soul or funk context. but i would think twice to play jazz with it.

here's a pic:

• Members

Originally posted by Caroway

[

I went to GC to buy a set of string for my Les Paul Studio and I get to talking to my friend Christian (asst. Manager @ GC, known him for about 8 years.) and he said, "You know I can match that and get you a new one from the factory."

Does anyone lese find it {censored}ty that an independent dealer came to you with a more than attractive price and you threw sand it his face by taking it to his cheif competitor.

People complain about how Mom and Pops can't/won't compete anymore and are snobbish. perhaps this is why?

if you were a shop owner, wouldn't you reward your loyal customers and be leery of this type of situation?

• Members

Originally posted by 78pbass

Does anyone lese find it {censored}ty that an independent dealer came to you with a
more than attractive price
and you threw sand it his face by taking it to his cheif competitor.

People complain about how Mom and Pops can't/won't compete anymore and are snobbish. perhaps this is why?

if you were a shop owner, wouldn't you reward your loyal customers and be leery of this type of situation?

Good point.

I would buy the one that I knew I liked instead of chancing one that might not sound the same.

• Members

I would not commit to the one in GC....

I would play BOTH basses and buy the one that sounds better...

Since no two basses sound exactly the same....

Personally I would go with the first bass you tried at the smaller music shop for many reasons...

Getting a "new" bass form GC does not mean it's better....

Plus I don't trust GC....

Chris

• Members

If you liked the one in the shop, I'd buy that one. There have been some points brought up, but my reasoning is that we all know Fender is rather inconsistent, even in the American line of instruments. One may feel great, one not.

Besides, if its a few years older it'll be vintage quicker and you'll be able to sell it for 3x what you paid for it. Especially if it says Fender on it!

• Members

The service that I get at GC (mostly because of who I know that works there) is far better than any of the service I ever got at an independent store.

The GC in Tulsa opened in January of this year. So the employees are people who worked at other music stores around town.

I am making my judgement on past experience. I have done business with the independent store before. I do my research on gear that I am interested in and I go into these independent stores (especially this one) & get treated like I am an idiot. The guys at GC treat me with respect becuase they know I am a gear junkie and I know my {censored} when I really am interested in something.

• Members

Originally posted by Caroway

The service that I get at GC (mostly because of who I know that works there) is far better than any of the service I ever got at an independent store.

The GC in Tulsa opened in January of this year. So the employees are people who worked at other music stores around town.

I am making my judgement on past experience. I have done business with the independent store before. I do my research on gear that I am interested in and I go into these independent stores (especially this one) & get treated like I am an idiot. The guys at GC treat me with respect becuase they know I am a gear junkie and I know my {censored} when I really am interested in something.

They can't be THAT uninterested in your business. They did show you the bass, after all, and offer you a good price before you went to GC.

I'd treat you like an idiot too if you walked into my store, tried out my bass, I made you a good offer, and you go downtown and buy the same thing from the big guitar retailer.

Archived