I want a Ric

Devinstation

• Members

Originally posted by tim_1002

...all ric needs to do now is to make a squier/olp/rockbass/tribute version of their bass and they'd conquer the world

I don't think so, somehow.

One of the main reaons why RIC is so successful is because it's the last of the great American guitar manufacturers that actually builds solely in the United States - entirely hand-made, too.

The day RIC sells out to China/Korea is the day I and many other Ric players don't buy anymore Rickenbacker instruments.

• Members

Originally posted by Benjamin

Ah so therefore Geezer Butler would have loved Rics had someone not handed him a P bass all those years ago?
:)

What is your take on Vigier, Jazz Ad? Haven't you owned one at some point?

Geezer played a Ric at some point.

Vigier basses are just that, Ricks on steroids.

Great construction, very comfortable, not cheap at all.

• Members

Originally posted by Slats

L-1329

Senior Member, Maybe our location is close. I had to order one without trying it first. If you PM me maybe I can help.

A most generous offer, but I think knowing the way I fall victim to massive g.a.s. attacks, actually playing one would be the worst thing I could do right now.:D;)

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Ah, put away $150 or more a year and you'll have a brand new one in under 10 years with little effort.

haha then i'd have to stop visiting this forum as well cos it gives me so much GAS :eek:

rickenbackers look so cool and complicated. i guess a cheap knockoff wouldn't look too good. the fenders and musicmans are simple so they're easier to copy i guess.

• Members

Originally posted by tim_1002

haha then i'd have to stop visiting this forum as well cos it gives me so much GAS
:eek:
rickenbackers look so cool and complicated. i guess a cheap knockoff wouldn't look too good. the fenders and musicmans are simple so they're easier to copy i guess.

Its not about ease of copying. There have been Ric knockoffs, quite a few times actually.

However, unlike Fender, Rickenbacker trademarked their body styles, and can sue anyone who copies them. Fender can sue if the headstock is copied, but nothing else.

Rics aren't overly complicated. I mean, I could probably make a knock off and sell it for $600 with some thought. Not a direct knockoff (Fender bridge, no stereo output, probably only 4 knobs) but a knockoff nonetheless.

And, I'd get my ass sued for it!:D

• Members

Originally posted by Benjamin

Mike Watt and Kera (forget her surname) have matching blue and yellow Rickenbacker shaped basses. Explain why their asses haven't been sued red?

Did they make them?

Did they market them?

I don't believe Ric goes after the owners of Ric knockoffs. They go after the builders. If they are building them in their basements, and selling them to other people, then I don't know why. If its just a pair of basses that they had built for them, they possibly paid Ric to use the Ric body shape to avoid legal issues as well, while agreeing that the shape wouldn't be marketed.

Beyond that, I just can't say.

• Members

Originally posted by 72Rick

Why give yourself the Shaftsbury when you can have the "Real Deal-Bury"?

74' Walnut, 72' Fire-Glo, 81' Jet-Glo

Mornin'

I would if I could afford it! I'd also have a 5 and a fretless. What I've got sounds okay and has decent tone and sustain, but I know it's not quite the real deal. A reasonable 2nd hand rick is a month's wages over here.

Archived