Talk me out of it ...

Devinstation

• Members

Im getting that itch to go play my six string ... and it isnt a bass. Im always caught in a teeter-totter of bass and guitar, I enjoy playing bass with people much more ... cause Im pretty good and a good band member (good jammer) ... but I also enjoy playing guitar cause ... Im pretty good and can make up some fun stuff on it ... plus I like being way up front ... showing off. The conundrum of rhythm versus lead plays on. We have anyother Bassists and Guitarists on this forum?

• Members

Ummm... Talk you out of what? Well...

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Playing multiple instruments can NOT hurt your musical development.

Go play your guitar!

...what he said! It'll make you understand the construction of chords better, and also makes your communication with guitarists easier. In other words, it makes you a better bassist!

• Members

Originally posted by Moody Johnny

Ummm... Talk you out of what? Well...

...what he said! It'll make you understand the construction of chords better, and also makes your communication with guitarists easier. In other words, it makes you a better bassist!

A good point - I always appreciate the ability to understand what the guitarist is on about when I'm playing bass in bands. To be able to watch the guitarist's fingers and pick up quickly what's going on is very useful sometimes!

• Members

I was jamming with a friend of the family tonight who's home from college on winter break. He's quite a guitar player. We played a few songs, switched instruments, and jammed some more. I don't care if I play bass, guitar, or keyboards, just as long as I have my hands on something.

• Members

Playing other instruments will make you a better musician, and playing guitar has helped me with my bass playing. It's a fun instrument, and I am lost by the attitude that it's the 'enemy', or that playing guitar is 'beneath' playing bass, or vice versa. If you enjoy it play it! And besides, bassists who play guitar can come up with some very interesting stuff, they don't usually have the same mind set as a guitar only player, and think differently. It's all good...:cool:

• Members

I find myself playing a lot of chords on bass..a lot of which would sound good on guitar..I like to strum as well. I like to record them and loop em and make different bass lines out of it. IT's fun. If you can get a guitar, do it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

We have anyother Bassists and Guitarists on this forum?

I mainly play guitar these days. I only play bass in church bands.

If i had to pick on, id rather play guitar than bass, its more fun. Im the one who gets to write the songs and play the solos. I get to explore a new istrument and i get to work with a wonderful bassist and learn a whole bunch of new stuff in the process.

Also at this point i think im a better guitarist than a bass player. I think im a better guitarists than most other guitarists i meet because i know how to work with the bass since ive played it for 15 years, and the drummer because thats a big part of the bassist job.

Basically its a bass tuned up an octave with two extra stings. Whats the fuss?

Archived