economical micro-sized amp for jamming?

SHIVmongrel

• Members

any suggestions for a very lightweight, small amp i can take jamming instead of loading up my svt and 810?

i've heard good things about the GK Micro, the Mesa walkabout...i'd prefer a head/cab...thinking of a neo115 w/ a head maybe...anyhow--any suggestions?

i'll be playing my jazz thru it, would prefer a tube pre...thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by LanEvo

There's always the
PJB Briefcase
amp. Much cheaper than the GK MicroBass and better quality from what I hear. The
SWR Baby Blue
combo is another classic choice.

Emre

thanks for the suggestions...i've seen that Breifcase amp in a bass player magazine ad--i'll look into that too

• CMS Author

Originally posted by SHIVmongrel

let's say $800 ceiling...i suppose i mean 'budget' as compared to some of the really high-end stuff...i want something i can hang onto for a while

Shouldbe able to get a Portabass setup with that budget. A lot easier to find (and find dealer support) than the PJB. No clue which you'd prefer to hear.

• Members

Originally posted by SHIVmongrel

thanks for the suggestions...i've seen that Breifcase amp in a bass player magazine ad--i'll look into that too

Well, it's about half the price of the GK MicroBass combo and everyone seems to rave about it. I'm considering buying one myself. I don't really need my SWR RedHead anymore since I don't play live these days. The RedHead is too big and loud for my current needs.

Emre

• Members

I've recently played through an SWR Baby Blue at somebody's audition. It was phenomenal: concentric knobs allowing parametric EQ, tube pre, aural enhancer that actually works... that thing was sweet! Seriously considering one after I get an upright, practice and start gigging it.

• Members

by SHIVmongrel

any suggestions for a very lightweight, small amp i can take jamming instead of loading up my svt and 810?

i've heard good things about the GK Micro, the Mesa walkabout...i'd prefer a head/cab...thinking of a neo115 w/ a head maybe...anyhow--any suggestions?

i'll be playing my jazz thru it, would prefer a tube pre...thanks!

The Mesa combo is nice - I've tried the 12" & have been thinking about special ordering one from the Mesa Custom Shop.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/index.html

I've seen some custom Mesa guitar cabs in person & they look sharp. ("shouldn't matter, but it does," Bound&Blocked)

No experience with the GK - I would like to try or hear more about it from those who have.

The GK is certainly not as sexy as the Mesa, though . . .

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by lownote

No experience with the GK - I would like to try or hear more about it from those who have.

The GK is very nice...but it's outrageously priced. They sell for around $800. That's FAR too much for what is essentially a small practice amp.

Emre

• Members

Originally posted by SB

I've recently played through an SWR Baby Blue at somebody's audition. It was phenomenal: concentric knobs allowing parametric EQ, tube pre, aural enhancer that actually works... that thing was sweet! Seriously considering one after I get an upright, practice and start gigging it.

I absolutely LOVE the original Baby Blue (I haven't tried the new version). But again, it's a bit expensive for such an underpowered little amp.

Emre

• Members

Weird, I'm checking out the same thing for the same reasons ! The SVt and it's 8x10 aren't easy to carry around... and my current combo (Ampeg B2) is too heavy...

I heard of the GK Microbass but I wonder if it's loud enough. I'm using half the power of the 200 watts B2 combo when I jam with a drummer. The GK shoots 100 watts without the extension cab.

Is it loud enough ???

And anyone had the chance to try Ampeg's newest Portabass combo ?? The 2x8 model ??

• 2 years later...
  • Members
:thu: I have a GK MB-E Head & use it regularly for practice with a drummer & guitar player & a full PA. I use a 4ohm cabinet with 115 it is plenty loud I also use it for small gigs with a Hartke 410 and/or 115 8ohm cabinets & it works great. But I did notice when I push it that it runs on the warm side so I run a fan on it so I don't risk frying it. The tone is Awsome & Versatile. I have many different Basses with round wound & flat wound strings & this amp works well with all of them. I play many styles of music & this amp works well for them all. When I need more power I use my Acoustic 220 head as a slave amp & BOOM !!! I love it. Buy a GK They Rock!! :idea:

• Members

The Mesa combo is nice - I've tried the 12" & have been thinking about special ordering one from the Mesa Custom Shop.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/index.html

I've seen some custom Mesa guitar cabs in person & they look sharp. ("shouldn't matter, but it does," Bound&Blocked)

The GK is certainly not as sexy as the Mesa, though . . .

:rolleyes:

Mesa is about twice his budget here...

Archived