Famous Songs Where The Singer Is Out Of Tune

iago

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

funny you guys brought up Hootie, I can't believe they gave him the best new country artist award! what's next? Are they gonna give Taylor Swift the best new pop artist..oh wait a minute....

Yeah... his lame ass got lucky twice for no apparent reason at all!... Yet he keeps at it...

• Members

I saw Bob Dylan less than a week ago and his voice had to have been the coolest "live performance" voice I've ever heard. It was Tom Waits rough times a million and shot out of the arena speakers in 3D like Marilyn Manson's soundmen had taken the helm at the soundboard for vocal mixing. It sounded menacing as hell, and there was not one moment where any note sounded "off." I think it all comes down to vibe and context. He completely delivered the goods.

Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers is by no means pitch perfect, but he always has the vibe and swagger to make it work. I think if he was in tune, it might take a little away.

Plus didn't even the great Freddie Mercury have a tendency to go a bit sharp every now and then?

• Members

funny you guys brought up Hootie, I can't believe they gave him the best new country artist award! what's next? Are they gonna give Taylor Swift the best new pop artist..oh wait a minute....

And if I'm not mistaken he beat out Jamey Johnson, who is to my mind the most promising singer-songwriter working today in country music. The guy packs an awesome baritone, and his songwriting is truly extraordinary.

Reminds me of the time (1978?) Elvis Costello lost the Grammy for best new artist to A Taste of Honey--remember the immortal Boogie Oogie Ooogie? :facepalm:

• Members

I saw Bob Dylan less than a week ago and his voice had to have been the coolest "live performance" voice I've ever heard. It was Tom Waits rough times a million and shot out of the arena speakers in 3D like Marilyn Manson's soundmen had taken the helm at the soundboard for vocal mixing. It sounded menacing as hell, and there was not one moment where any note sounded "off." I think it all comes down to vibe and context. He completely delivered the goods.

YES!!! +1,000! Finally someone gets it! :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

And if I'm not mistaken he beat out Jamey Johnson, who is to my mind the most promising singer-songwriter working today in country music. The guy packs an awesome baritone, and his songwriting is truly extraordinary.

I hadn't heard that but that stinks. That Lonesome Song is just a terrific album that comes closer to "country" than most anything else on country radio. I love how imperfect it is. People talking, amp noise, guitars out of tune. Magnificent.

I had a chance to play a few slots ahead of him. Really kicking myself for missing that.

• Members

I've never considered Anthony Kiedis to be an out of tune singer . Granted, it's not the traditional Paul McCartney or Tony Bennett way of singing ; but I think he's hitting the notes he wants to hit.
:idk:

No, he's not.

He can't fucking sing.

• Members

I've never considered Anthony Kiedis to be an out of tune singer . Granted, it's not the traditional Paul McCartney or Tony Bennett way of singing ; but I think he's hitting the notes he wants to hit.
:idk:

I think Keidis's technique is what makes him original, but call a spade a spade, bud:cop: As far as "singing" goes? He cannot "sing."

Take Eddie Veddar for instance.

He's got pipes but I've heard him get out of control to an extent.

Have you heard 3rd eye blind "Live?" -Trainwreck-

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Anything featuring Stevie Nicks. She sounds like a goat, as South Park correctly pointed out.

Most pop music is out of tune, particularly Rihanna. She's one of the worst.

Pretty much all singers are slightly out of tune. Even the most professional singers sometimes go slightly out of tune. Celine Dion, who's overall a very good singer, goes out of tune on "My Heart Will Go On". Listen carefully to the very last line when she sings "My Heart Will Go On And On" - the "and" is out of tune.

Strangely, the most in-tune singer I've ever heard (both live and on CD) is Christina Aguilera. I don't like her music at all, the style is awful, but so far I've never heard her hit a bum note. Closely followed by Michael Bolton, whose 80s albums are absolutely amazing (forget the 90s soppy stuff, his hard rock albums were fantastic).

• Members

Someone mentioned South Side Johnny, Thanks! Had almost excised that from my memory. I live in Delaware and used to live in George Thorgoods home town of Newark. Before he "made" it there were lots of his singles around(this is late 70's). Had a particularly painful/hilarious version of "Who do you love" on Rounder Records. When he went for the high note on who do you love! you could hear them pull back the slider to fade it into the mix to hide the way he went off pitch. Always good for a laugh.

Archived