Tips for a beginning URB player?

BEAD

• Members

Where do I get started?

I've been playing along to some simpler Nick Cave and Cure basslines, but most of the music I own is played by electric bass and hard to replicate on URB. Lots of 8th note runs etc.

So...

Until I can get some lessons (and buy a bow) what should I be doing?

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

Where do I get started?

I've been playing along to some simpler Nick Cave and Cure basslines, but most of the music I own is played by electric bass and hard to replicate on URB. Lots of 8th note runs etc.

So...

Until I can get some lessons (and buy a bow) what should I be doing?

playing URB INO is hard to do at first w/o a teacher. maybe try to get at least on lesson to give you an idea of body possitioning and hand technique. with the left hand keep your elbow close to parallel to the floor and with the right hand pluck the strings maybe an inch from the end of the fingerboard...

for intonation drills, record a fixed-pitch instrument (like a piano or your fretted bass) doing scales and play along focusing on pitch. play slowly

• Members

Originally posted by bassman1956

Try "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid. Here it is at
bassbooks.com
, and there's even a matching DVD for it. There's a lot of info in the front of this book about placement and movement of your hands, arms, and general postures. For this aspect, I think it's the best I've ever seen in print.

doh! i shoulda thought of that...rufus is even a friend of mine...:o

Archived