Carl Thompson basses

AunShui

• Members

I've played more than one in my day. I also was underimpressed. There's a loyal cadre of CT aficionados out there - for reasons I can't comprehend - but I guess I'm not one of 'em. Must be the lack of THC in my bloodstream and brain stem :)

Given the choice between an SX P-Bass copy and the most tricked-out, expensive CT that ever was made, I'd happily choose the SX every day of the week.

Oddly enough, CT strings are really good. I checked them out because Jeff Berlin always raved about them. They're hard to get a hold of, though.

• Members

Hmmm, not the expected response, but hey, whatever.

I would love to play one, and apparenlty I'm only like 1 hr away from him, but I don't know if I'll ever find one.

Actually, thats not true. I saw one in Rudy's Music in NYC once. I didn't touch it.

And yeah, he has other ones that are more conservative. That pic is {censored} anyway. If you have a few mins, check out the 10 million dollar bass.

• Members

Originally posted by __tony__renaud

Given the choice between an SX P-Bass copy and the most tricked-out, expensive CT that ever was made, I'd happily choose the SX every day of the week.

I wouldn't go that far but for this kind of price you expect perfect quality and stumbling tone. Ken Smith, Bebensee, etc.

I happened to have played a Fodera minutes before I tried it. There was no possible comparison. Not even in the same category.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I wouldn't go that far but for this kind of price you expect perfect quality and stumbling tone. Ken Smith, Bebensee, etc.

I happened to have played a Fodera minutes before I tried it. There was no possible comparison. Not even in the same category.

My experience exactly.

CT should thank somebody for Stanley Clarke and especially Les Claypool when he goes to bed at night.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Daniel1981

Anyone ever played one of his basses? I know they are pricey, but just wanted to hear from people here what they think about it (sound,playability,etc).

I played one before I was a bass player a bunch of times, but as I said...I didn't really know what I was doing at the time so I can't tell you if they are any good or not.

I will say the guy who owned the one I played was a remarkable player and if he had one built for him, they are probably pretty damn good. I suspect the prices are inflated because of Les playing them though.

• Members

I used to work with a guy who at one point in time had payed for a CT bass. It took a long (I mean LONG!) time to get and when he finally he did, he didn't even like it. Carl was going to take it back and just make him an entirely new bass! I thought was pretty badass.

• Members

Originally posted by SpaceGhost

I used to work with a guy who at one point in time had payed for a CT bass. It took a long (I mean LONG!) time to get and when he finally he did, he didn't even like it. Carl was going to take it back and just make him an entirely new bass! I thought was pretty badass.

Everything I hear about getting one built for you makes me gas (aside from the waiting time...and price). The scale is decided by your hand size! The one I played was a 35.25" scale! That's pretty bad ass too.

• Members

I've played many CT basses when I was living in the Tri-State area. Carl Thompson basses are not worth consideration as a premium bass purchase, IMO. Too expensive, suspect build quality, and abysmal tone. You could probably get Fodera or Ed Roman to build a CT copy that would be better and cheaper that a genuine CT.

I'm sure my mind would change about this stuff after a few bong hits. However being sober and clean for over 6 years now, that possiblity is out of the question.

• Members

Originally posted by badmotor

:D

Every single CT owner I've ever met, famous ones included, were what we'd call full-bore, military grade, Texas-size over-the-top potheads. I always associate CT basses with marijuana :)

To be fair, I've never met Stanley Clarke. Anthony Jackson's a past CT player that I have met, but his personality, intelligence, and eyes don't read as positive for drug use with me.

FWIW, I always associate Spector basses with really large-breasted women. I saw a lot of large breasts up close and personal when I played my NS-2 back in the 80's.:thu:

• Members

I've talked with him a few times in his shop, or rather, he just talked to me for 2 hours straight about his philosophies while he cut a new nut for two of my guitars:D . He contradicts himself alot and has many, many, many opinions. He seems to thinks all musicians except for old jazz players are {censored}, but then again he likes Stanley Clarke, he made Lou Reed a guitar, and he loves Les. One thing that's really nice about his basses is that they are evenly balanced and light. It's also cool to be in his shop because he's not a naturally gifted woodworker, but he's creative. So, you can see a hacked-up, chiselled scroll sitting there waiting to be finished up. He doesn't fret over tools and finishes and stuff, but his basses always ends up looking and feeling great. Read the interview on ctbasses.com and you'll see what I mean about him.

I don't think I even played one of the basses plugged in, but I wouldn't have appreciated the quality anyways, because I wasn't much of a bass player at the time.

I don't know if I would get one of his basses, because I wouldn't want to wait that long for something I couldn't hear first. who knows how it will turn out? It's in interesting approach because he has no truly defined method for making them and they always turn out different.www.ctbasses.com

• 2 months later...

Archived