Bass Wiring Problems

bwalker

• Members

I have a terrible buzzing coming from my Bass (I have confirmed it's the Bass). I have a "knock-off" Fender P-Bass.

Here's the little bit of troubleshooting that I've done:

Volume Knobs:

Each volume knob amplifies the "noise". However, if only one pickup is on, the buzzing is there, but barely noticeable. As you crank up the second pick-up, it becomes an annoyance.

Tone Knob:

The buzzing is piercing when you are on the treble side of the knob. When you turn the knob all the way to the Bass side, the noise is side there, but not as noticeable. I figure it's one of the two assumptions:

1) The majority of the buzzing is at a frequency that can be blocked by the tone filter/knob. -OR-

2) The "crispness" of the buzzing is silenced, but it isn't eliminating it. It's merely turning it into a hum.

Re-reading my comments, it looks like 1 and 2 are the same thing, just worded differently.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping someone has experianced this problem before. I don't want to shield the problem, I'd like to eliminate it. Someone at work suggested replacing the tone cap, but I'm still getting some sort of noise on both ends of the tone knob. So, I don't think that'll work. Please help. Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

Some additional questions:

Has the bass had this problem since you got it, or is this a new problem?

It was purchased (10+) years ago by my father. However, it hasn't been actively used until the past 2-3 years. I don't remember if this problem was there when he purchased it (used), but yes, this problem has always been there for the past couple years.

Have you tried the bass with a different amp/cable?

I swaped it with my guitar amp and the problem followed the bass guitar.

• Members

Final questions: does the problem get better when your hands are on the strings/bridge, and worse when they are off? Also, does it do this no matter where you are (i.e. in other rooms?)?

My first guess would be that the bass is not shielded correctly. In which case, your comment about "shielding" the problem IS the problem. I agree that rewiring might correct some of the problem, but if you are picking up some sort of electrical interference, then shielding the control and pickup cavities may be the only correction.

• Members

I will bet a cold soda and a cigarette that it's a ground loop. Not shielding or anything like that.

There is more than one ground on the electronics in your bass. If you think the bass is worth investing an hour of your time, get yourself some magnet wire and a soldering gun and redo all the wiring. Cut every connection. Wire it up as per schematics on the web.

Sorry there's no easy fix, other than taking it into the shop and having someone that knows what to look for look at it. It's either the shop or a trip to radio hut

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

Final questions: does the problem get better when your hands are on the strings/bridge, and worse when they are off? Also, does it do this no matter where you are (i.e. in other rooms?)?

My first guess would be that the bass is not shielded correctly. In which case, your comment about "shielding" the problem IS the problem. I agree that rewiring might correct some of the problem, but if you are picking up some sort of electrical interference, then shielding the control and pickup cavities may be the only correction.

That is what I would say as well. Speaking from experience, a little effort put into shielding your cavities will go a long way in making a bass sound better.

• Members

Originally posted by megadan

My first question is: where did you get a P-bass with volume controls? Cool.

Sorry, I mis-spoke, I have a Fender J-Bass "knock-off", not the P-Bass.

There are 2 seperate pickups, not the 2+2 style pick-up that the P-Bass has.

Not sure this helps, but it's a bit more information.

BTW, that's for all of your help.

• Members

Okay, this makes more sense now. P-basses generally don't buzz very badly because the two coils of the pickups cancel each other out. However, J-basses are notorious for humming. I would shield the entire bass and see if that makes a difference. It sounds like a big deal but it's not. PM me if you have questions.

Archived