For those that like bass solos...

Thunderbroom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by timmerz

Guys, Mike is a very good bassist...I know it's hard, but don't judge his whole skill on just the "airplane" solo he does to try to keep the attention of the 12 to 17 yr. olds at the arena.....he's a performer, and he's performing.

His bass playing, when he's playing bass, not airplane, is excellent, solid and totally grooving....

I'm sure you're a big Mike Anthony fan, but can you honestly point to something really impressive he's done?

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

I'm sure you're a big Mike Anthony fan, but can you honestly point to something really impressive he's done?

All joking aside, Michael Anthony's playing just WORKS for Van Halen. You've got a histrionic guitarist, a histrionic drummer, and a series of manic singers all trying to out-do each other. Someone has to sit back and keep the groove. At least the guy pounds out a solid rhythm for the others to wank over.

Look what happened when David Lee Roth had both Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan in the band. Too much wanking, not enough pounding rock n roll.

Emre

• Members

This quote cracks me up:

During our second year out, I was doing a thing with a fuzz (all sorts of weird stuff) and the New Barbarians had just finished playing before we did. Some chick came running up to me and said, "yeah, yeah, Stanley Clarke did like this ten minute bass solo, but jeez, when you got up there, you made them sound like {censored}! You sounded like World War III!" And I said to myself, "Hey, this is one of the typical kids." I'd love to get out there and show all my chops, but I think, "This is what we're playing to, and this is what they appreciate."
And since I've been jumping on my bass this year, I swear I cannot believe the compliments that I get from people.

That had me on the floor. It's straight out of Spinal Tap.

Emre

BTW, you can read the whole thing here: http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/ma/gp1081.php

• Members

Originally posted by LanEvo

All joking aside, Michael Anthony's playing just WORKS for Van Halen. You've got a histrionic guitarist, a histrionic drummer, and a series of manic singers all trying to out-do each other. Someone has to sit back and keep the groove. At least the guy pounds out a solid rhythm for the others to wank over.

Look what happened when David Lee Roth had both Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan in the band. Too much wanking, not enough pounding rock n roll.

Emre

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the guy, it's just that I see so many people that say MA is the greatest bassist. I think that's stretching a bit.

Archived