played through marshall super bass mkII today..

LAbass

• Members

so i played through this amp...it's friends head, actualy he use it for guitar...

i plugged it in my hughes&kettner bc410h, with horn on off position...

very good sounding...i have very hot bass pus so i turned marshall onli to 2 and it already start to distort quite hard...anyhow i tried it up to 4 and it shaked our rehersal room...but it was almost to distorted for my taste...

now i know what means 100W vs. 400 ss W...ok i know 100w=100w but we know what we are talkig about.:)

it's about the same volume(at 2,5-3 on marshall) but that tuby sound...now i realy need tube amp:) maybe with my ss amp i get more headroom and it's cleaner at same volume...though i regulary use poweramp 2/3 opened...

i have svp-pro with custom(heavy old school builded) power amp...

thats it...

• Members

Man, that's all I used for years when I first got into pro-level bass playing in the early 80's. I quit using it because I kept shaking the components inside it loose. I spent quite a bit of money on tubes and re-biasing, and I had to replace the transformer once, which cost me pretty good. But we toured the country and I used that Marshall in every major venue and every little seedy club that we played in. It was like my right arm. Not a lot of tone control, but what was there was the bomb!

Plus, we had a wall of Marshall amps behind us and it just looked awesome.

BTW, the Marshall that I used was converted for bass use, NOT just a guitar head. I don't remember what Marshall did to convert it, but it had something to do with the signal input.

• Members

Even for tube amps, Marshalls are loud. last week at practice I didn't bring my amp, knowing there were loads of amps there. Just for fun I plugged into a 1959SLP Mark II. Couldn't get the damn thing over 2 without drowning out the drummer AND the guitarist's 6X12. Cut through more than the Mesa 400+ that was also there. Sounded better too. One thing that saddens me is when I do see a Super Bass it has usually been modded to make it identical to the Super Lead. That really bothers me. Why not just buy the guitar amp, and leave the Super Bass unmolested? Anyway... sick amps.

• Members

Originally posted by fealach

Even for tube amps, Marshalls are loud. last week at practice I didn't bring my amp, knowing there were loads of amps there. Just for fun I plugged into a 1959SLP Mark II. Couldn't get the damn thing over 2 without drowning out the drummer AND the guitarist's 6X12. Cut through more than the Mesa 400+ that was also there. Sounded better too. One thing that saddens me is when I do see a Super Bass it has usually been modded to make it identical to the Super Lead. That really bothers me. Why not just buy the guitar amp, and leave the Super Bass unmolested? Anyway... sick amps.

Didn't you mention a while back that you picked up a Sound City head for cheap? :freak:

You lucky, lucky bastage...

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

Didn't you mention a while back that you picked up a Sound City head for cheap?
:freak:

You lucky, lucky bastage...

:D

Looking at the auction I have going on the tubes I pulled from the Sound City, so far (if the winner pays up!) it looks like the Sound City, its cab, and the recap and restore job will be essentially free, being paid for by the proceeds from the tube sale. But it's taken me a lifetime of bad decisions and bad deals to get that, so I'm not really so lucky. The Marshall and Mesa I referred to above aren't mine, just to be clear. They used to be, but I traded one and sold the other, to the same person. I'm regretting letting the Marshall go now. That's one of the bad decisions. At least I can still visit it every now and then. I do know a guy who has a Super Bass, but I can't quite convince him to part with it.

• 1 year later...

Archived