Stingrays are the most overrated basses ever.

BEAD

• Members
Originally posted by chunkathalon

The stingray is just too much of a 1 trick pony to deserve the high esteem it has on this board.

:o

How could a one trick pony do everything from funk to heavyu metal? Sure it doesn't have a huge array of tones, but it can do a great many things....and do many of those things great!

Dan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by bigby

This reminds me of something you see here in the south; the Ford vs Chevy guys. Ford guys will always put down the Chevy's, Chevy's guys always put down the Fords. It really doesn't mean anything in reality, just personal taste with little to do with universal fact.

That isn't just the South...Detroit makes the Southern boys look like hobbists...

Take those conversations about personal preference, and fill them up with guys quoting horsepower and torque figures for any given model and configuration for the last 40 years of production and you're getting close to a Detroit car discussion...:D

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

I have to agree a bit. The reason I chose my Warwick is because of the versatility of it. I love the sound of Stingrays, but unless you're in a funk band it's hard to make the sound fit alot of times. It can be done, obviously, but not always.

I play metal and the Stingray is sick, cuts through the mix great. The tone that I get works great with the guitarists. My Thumb was always to warm for me, but I still miss it a lot.

• Members

I had a Stering for a few months. Great feel and played great but, as with many other basses that I have tried, it didn't cut through well on the top end. Even tried a Bart in it. Beautiful bass though. Black beauty. Sold it. Never had interest in MM after that.

....Chevy rules!....

• Members
Originally posted by ZedsDead

Wrong. That would be Sadowsky
:wave:

Ooooooh! You're right! I'll do a Sadowsky bashing thread tomorrow...

*goes to other forums and does research about what people whine about Sadowskys for*

I'll make sure and make fun of the new Sadowsky amp too.
:mad:

• Members

When I had $1500 to invest in an electric bass, I bought a 'Ray.
If a G&L fit me better, I would have bought that.
If a Spector fit me better, I would have bought one.
If a Ric fit me better, I would have bought that.
If a Warwick fit me better, I would have bought one.
If a Fender fit me better, I would have bought that.
If a Peavey Cirrus fit me better, I would have bought one.
Simple as that.
Should I go on?

• Members
Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

When I had $1500 to invest in an electric bass, I bought a 'Ray.

If a G&L fit me better, I would have bought that.

If a Spector fit me better, I would have bought one.

If a Ric fit me better, I would have bought that.

If a Warwick fit me better, I would have bought one.

If a Fender fit me better, I would have bought that.

If a Peavey Cirrus fit me better, I would have bought one.

Simple as that.

Should I go on?

So in summary, the 'Ray fits you better than any other production bass?

If you're sharing that as an anecdote, then... great! That's a heartwarming story. If you're using it as evidence that my claim is false though, I don't follow your logic.

If I posted a "{censored} smells worse than most vegetables" thread, and gave a few reasons why I find the smell of {censored} offensive, can you really refute my observation by saying that you personally love the smell of {censored}?

:confused:

BTW... I'm not comparing the sound of a stingray to the smell of {censored}. Stingrays sound very nice while executing the one trick they are capable of... just not nice enough to warrent the attention they get from the HCBF.
:)

• Members

So in summary, the 'Ray fits
you
better than any other production bass?

Didn't I say that enough?

Stingrays sound very nice while executing the one trick they are capable of...

If you can only make a 'Ray fit in one situation, then I feel kinda bad for you, mate.

If I posted a "{censored} smells worse than most vegetables" thread, and gave a few reasons why I find the smell of {censored} offensive, can you really refute my observation by saying that you personally love the smell of {censored}?

If you don't want 'Ray owners to share their opinions, why did you start a thread about it on a public forum, or rather, why not mention in your 1st post that the opinions of 'Ray owners are not welcome in this thread?

• Members

Everybody makes this big deal... but really.

:o

Fudge! I guess Tony Levin, Pino Paladino, Dave LaRue, Cliff Williams, Flea and countless other Stingray players have been fooled by the MM hype. :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

chunk, can you start a Status-bashing thread please? I know there aren't THAT many people here who have one, but it would make me feel special

I can't please everyone all the time...
:rolleyes:

...but I'll try.
:)

• Members

The first time I heard a Stingray live was in 1977, when Dominic Troiano (late of the Guess Who) played a gig promoting his solo album at a local record store in Green Bay. His bassist played a Stingray, and he sounded incredible.

I can't believe I haven't had a Stingray in the herd yet.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

If you don't want 'Ray owners to share their opinions, why did you start a thread about it on a public forum, or rather, why not mention in your 1st post that the opinions of 'Ray owners are not welcome in this thread?

You're missing my point. I hope you aren't actually angry, but you do sound a bit angry... Also, I want you to know that I fully welcome your input in this thread.

I'm saying that 'Ray's are disproportionally praised here, not that they aren't good basses. I'm sure you can note the difference in these two claims. Do some products ever get overhyped on internet forums? Sure they do. I was just suggesting that among basses, the Stingray is up there. It's probably the highest quality bass to get such disproportionate hype *coughESSEXcough*, but I feel it is overhyped nevertheless. I don't see how your personal testemonial about your experience with Stingrays relates to this discussion of the forum and stingrays in general.

• Members

You're missing my point. I hope you aren't actually angry, but you do sound a bit angry... Also, I want you to know that I fully welcome your input in this thread.

I'm saying that 'Ray's are disproportionally praised here, not that they aren't good basses. I'm sure you can note the difference in these two claims. Do some products ever get overhyped on internet forums? Sure they do. I was just suggesting that among basses, the Stingray is up there. It's probably the highest quality bass to get such disproportionate hype *coughESSEXcough*, but I feel it is overhyped nevertheless. I don't see how your personal testemonial about your experience with Stingrays relates to this discussion of the forum and stingrays in general.

I'm not actually angry, but more confused after reading this. You sound like your contradicting yourself.
You fully welcome me to the thread, yet prefer me to leave out my personal experience.:freak::confused: What do you want me to say? "Yeah, I'm a complete and utter fool for buying into the hype"? :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm not angry. Just confused.
I realize I don't have to defend MM instuments. The proof is in the puddin' bro. :cool:

Archived