Recording good bass tones?

fuzzbox

• Members

Guitar player here looking for pro advise on recording bass!

I'm currently using a PT Digi001 setup and I track my guitars thru amps or different modelling devices and get great results. But the bass is a bit more difficult. Miking is not an option for my studio/apartment. Going straight in is OK in the aspect that I like a clean path and the tones are good, however it's sort of uneven levels between the strings and the low E kind of fades out a bit.

It doesn't sit that well in the mix either, kinda dull.

What is a good unit to use to get a better bass sound. Sansamp Bass DI, RedBox...??? I'm clueless as to what bass units will fix this. And it's the same on all the basses I've used, and they do sound fine thru an amp. Does my issue sound familiar?

Compression alone doesn't help either.

Thanks Bassies!

Fuzzbox

• Members

I have never been able to get a tone I really loved with anything but a mic'ed cabinet. For my latest recordings, my signal chain did this:

MM Sterling >> Sansamp BDDI >> Ampeg amp >> SVT410 >> MXL 991 small dia condenser

So far thats the best sound ive been able to get. I tried recording directly just bass to sansamps and I didnt particularly like it.

• Members

I am a big fan of the bass pod xt. I do all my recording with it, and could not be happier. It is much better than the first generation bass pod, and easier to use. You might be able to put a bass through a guitar pod, that way you would have two uses for it.

• Members
Originally posted by filterthing

I am a big fan of the bass pod xt. I do all my recording with it, and could not be happier. It is much better than the first generation bass pod, and easier to use. You might be able to put a bass through a guitar pod, that way you would have two uses for it.

i tought of that too...they could at least have put one bass patch in there but with some tweaking it might work!

• Members

A recording of a bass is only going to sound as good as the bass and the bass player. If you are having problems with the tone you are getting and the sustain is not there it sounds like it's the bass and not the player. Compression and EQ will compensate a little for this, but in the end the sound going in is the sound you are recording. If the bass doesn't sound good, neither will your recording. It doesn't matter how many preamps and processors etc that you use.

What kind of bass are you using?

• Members

Bass processor of choice to mixer. Bass signal processessed for best sound in the mix. Tone ready for direct recording. Amps are simply as monitor/pa for that signal. Done. Uses Zoom Player 3000B myself with great results.

Bass sounding dull in the mix is often a result of not enough OD. You'll normally find you need more OD then bass player would use for solo (not in the mix) voice. If thats not the problem, your prob useing a bass who's voice is dull for your music. Useing heavy bass pads, fx, and soundbeds with Va synths myself resulted in finding a lot of the basses out there just cant cut it for sounding good (not dull and/or weak) in the mix. Electronic percussion doing octave drops adding to the need for better bass choices. So far, only BC Rich, Esp Ltd & Warwick have shown themself capable for great in the mix sound with Warwick coming in at 3rd best.

Humbucker (soapbar) and P pups do work best in my experience. P's working best when you have both neck & bridge P sets rather then single set like fender P's have. Only BC Rich has neck & bridge P set configuration. Best wood combinations have proven to be poplar body or agathis, mahogany or chesswood with maple top. Of those 3 mahogany is dullest since it lacks both agathis & chesswoods articulation. Basswood with maple top can work too but isnt as heavy a sound. For neck: maple with rosewood or ebony fretboard has proven best in my experience.

If the bass has baddassII bridge, replace it, cause baddassII just eliminates too much bass content due to its treble zingyness. Bass guitar competing with heavy bass synth does create special needs bass choices. And heavy Overdrive does help too. Lol.

• Members

I generally just run bass -> DI -> Digi001. I think I get a very nice bass sound this way, personally. :) But, I have a very nice bass. Quality gear and an experienced player will go a long way toward getting you a good sound.

• Members

Originally posted by MrJoshua

I wouldn't put a compressor in the signal chain this time, actually, because the compressor included in ProTools LE is fairly nice. But that's just my opinion.
:)
You can record dry and then add compression to taste.

+1

• Members

Good tone starts with a good "studio" bass and new strings. I know you already know that but I had to say it anyway.

Unless there is some absolute and unavoidable issue you're dealing with, you want to record the Bass Track MONO @ -6db flat in a digital environment. You should connect the bass directly to a quality DI box and directly to the board.

After the track is recorded, you'll need to use a compressor. The type of compression you use depends on the bass and how the track was played. I typically use a D-COMP for Rock and Dance/HipHop Bass and something a bit more natural for everything else.

If you're using effects, you'll want to think very carefully about the chain and may want to use different types of compression at opposite ends of the chain.

Effects and how it "sits in the mix" are not recording issues.

You want to make sure the instrument is in Tune, that you have a clean signal with enough overhead and that there are no environmental variables leaking into the track. Everything else is a production issue (post recording).

• Members

Actually, how it "sits in the mix" has a lot to do with the bass tone, so it essentially IS a recording issue. If you have good tone, it's going to be much, much easier to mix the final product. Also, I'm not sure I'd say new strings are necessary every time. Some pretty nice tones can be had from six-month-old nickel strings on a Warwick. Just my $.02.

• Members

Originally posted by MrJoshua

Actually, how it "sits in the mix" has a lot to do with the bass tone, so it essentially IS a recording issue. If you have good tone, it's going to be much, much easier to mix the final product. Also, I'm not sure I'd say new strings are necessary every time. Some pretty nice tones can be had from six-month-old nickel strings on a Warwick. Just my $.02.

By Bass Tone, I am referring to the Tone of the Bass. The difference between a J and a P for example. Mixing is a Post Recording Process and how it sits in the mix has just as much to do with how you EQ the drums, guitar, keys (or anything else) as it does with the Bass Track itself.

Generally speaking, it is easier to remove something that IS there then to add something that ISN'T there. New strings tend to be brighter and track better in the studio. You can always roll off the highs but almost impossible to Add good highs that aren't there.

• Members

Thanks for all the great tips! I'm makin a music store trip so I'll see if I can find anything!

Also, I don't have the best bass in the world (like I said, I'm a guitar player) but I know several people with the same one that got good tones so that's why I got it. And to me it does sound good live with an amp. Better than all other in the same price range when I bought it. It's an Ibanez Soundgear.

Could you guys post a few short clips of your recordings so I can use that to compare and dial in my tone?

I'll post some of mine too and you can tell me what it has and lacks!

Thanks!

Fuzz

• Members

I recently bought a (please don't hit me) Behringer MIC200 Tube Ultragain Preamp/DI thing. It's tube driven (one 12AX7) and has a few settings that work well with the bass (2 "bass" settings and a "valve" setting). I really enjoy that unit and it doesn't empty your pockets.

• Members

Originally posted by Jugghaid

If you are having problems with the tone you are getting and the sustain is not there it sounds like it's the bass and not the player.

+1, especially if compression and eq aren't helping the problem. with a decent bass you won't have to do much at all to get a good recorded tone, just go in direct. although, ibanez's usually sound okay. is it active?

have you checked out the strings on your bass? maybe get something in a heavier gauge or just change them?

+1 also for the p

• Members

Originally posted by thebeatcatcher

+1, especially if compression and eq aren't helping the problem. with a decent bass you won't have to do much at all to get a good recorded tone, just go in direct. although, ibanez's usually sound okay. is it active?

have you checked out the strings on your bass? maybe get something in a heavier gauge or just change them?

+1 also for the p

I'm not Jaco but not a complete hack either:D

Just pressing the G on the E string and pluck the string asn't that hard, but thats all u need to do to see the problem so to speak. Maybe its ultimately the bass, but like I said it sounds fine and balanced thru an amp. Thats why i suspected the recording setup!

Yes its active and you can blend that as much/little as u want. It gets better it seems with less or no active cirquit but its a bit too vintage sounding to me and thats where my not so excellent playing shines thru!

Strings are not that old and I use flat wound to get rid of the sliding noise!

• Members

Strings are not that old and I use flat wound to get rid of the sliding noise!

BINGO!!! I'd recommend switching to roundwounds and using a parametric EQ to get rid of the string noise. That's only IF the noise sounds bad in the mix. It might not, depending on what kind of tone works with the type of music you're recording.

• Members

Originally posted by nosamiam

BINGO!!! I'd recommend switching to roundwounds and using a parametric EQ to get rid of the string noise. That's only IF the noise sounds bad in the mix. It might not, depending on what kind of tone works with the type of music you're recording.

Oh {censored} :D I was thinking about it but didn't think it would be that much of a difference but I'll give it a shot. Problem is I like to slide into notes but I guess i can try to avoid that. At least I'll find out if that is the problem to my tone. If so and if I "need" the flat wound, I may go for a brighter maple neck bass with flat wounds?

Thanks for the tip!

Archived