* Strings

* DB-bassists

* jazz

* classical

* full carved

* rosin, bags, accessories

b21face.jpg

• Members

I play almost entirely classical on mine. There is nothing that compares with the power one gets from a low, held arco note with a German bow :eek:

It needs a serious setup however, and is in Cyprus... away from me :(

Anyhow, here's a pic.

PC210011.JPG

Hora Academy upright, made in a small factory nestled in the forests of Transylvania :)

• Members

mine?

* sound>>>see my space

* photos>>>see my space

* love>>>yes i do

* hate>>>that sound guys cant get the sound right

* GAS>>>poellman 5 string

* technique>>>rabbath, german bow, densonain

* 5-string>>>want one with a high C

* plywood-laminated>>>secret

* amplification>>>ampeg portabass, realist pickup, fishman pre

* humidity & temperature>>>cold and dry

* size>>> "3/4" 41" scale

* rockabilly & bluegrass>>>only if the $$ is right

* arco -/- bows>>>yes and both

* lessons>>>teaching and taking (from john)

* playability>>>my bass plays like butter

* varnish>>>redid it myself (tung oil)

* upgrade>>>new fingerboard and fittings

* hybrid>>>???

* setup>>>smooth

* luthiers & woods>>>secret

* money...worth about 13k$

* new/old-used>>>born in 1940

* Strings>>>thomastik spirocore lights

* DB-bassists>>>john, christian, edgar, gary, the list is long

* jazz>>>uh huh

* classical>>>you betcha

* full carved>>>secret

* rosin, bags, accessories>>>nyman-harts, mooradian, onyx wheel, ergo-stool, bow case, realist

• Members

People used to make fun of me for learning it instead of bass guitar 11 years ago, and now it's popular to play double bass!

...one thing I've noticed about the crowd getting into the instrument via Rockabilly/Psychobilly is that they don't bother to get lessons. People have been playing double bass for a lot longer than the bass guitar, and there are established playing techiques you can learn that improve tone, speed, and intonation across the whole fingerboard.

I struck up a conversation with the a rockabilly bass player at a bar about a year ago, and he didn't know you could play notes on the fingerboard above the heel of the neck :eek:

• Members

I'm one of those newbs. I got a copy of the Rufus Reid DVD, but it was a little light on the technique side, so a few lessons are likely in my future.

I do have a question about tone though. My bass is a plywood student model. Decent enough bass. The problem is, it doesn't get the growling sound I hear a lot of guys get. Just "thump", with almost no sustain. I know uprights aren't sustain monsters, but I'm talking "less than other uprights", not "less than my Ric".

The bridge is set low for pizz; the strings are stock (I'm not sure of the brand). There also seems to be a dead spot at G on the E string (wolf tone?). Any thoughts?

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

I'm one of those newbs. I got a copy of the Rufus Reid DVD, but it was a little light on the technique side, so a few lessons are likely in my future.

I do have a question about tone though. My bass is a plywood student model. Decent enough bass. The problem is, it doesn't get the growling sound I hear a lot of guys get. Just "thump", with almost no sustain. I know uprights aren't sustain monsters, but I'm talking "less than other uprights", not "less than my Ric".

The bridge is set low for pizz; the strings are stock (I'm not sure of the brand). There also seems to be a dead spot at G on the E string (wolf tone?). Any thoughts?

change strings

go with a light chrome wound rope core.

try the tomastick spirocore. you should get some more sustain.

my urb has about a go 20

+/- secs of sustain on the e string (eg playing an f of f#)

• Members

Originally posted by Bassius

change strings

go with a light chrome wound rope core.

try the tomastick spirocore. you should get some more sustain.

my urb has about a go 20

+/- secs of sustain on the e string (eg playing an f of f#)

What gauge do you recommend? Weichs?

How do you feel about them for bowing? I do eventually want to get some facility with a bow; Bob Gollihur's opinion on Spiro's is that they aren't great with a bow ("scratchy" was his descriptor).

Is there a string that makes a good compromise? Have you tried Corelli's?

Re: Rabbath - he's the "four-finger" guy, right? More of an electric type technique?

• Members

I just got one today! Its a chinese Westbury. Although i have no idea where to start with it. Im getting my first lesson next Wednesday but i cant wait till then, has anyone got any starting off tips?

Heres a family pic:

snapshot200603171619001ic.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Craken

I just got one today! Its a chinese Westbury. Although i have no idea where to start with it. Im getting my first lesson next Wednesday but i cant wait till then, has anyone got any starting off tips?

Heres a family pic:

snapshot200603171619001ic.jpg

That Jazz is sweet, C. Warmoth bits?

• Members

That Jazz is sweet, C. Warmoth bits?

Thanks. Its a Warmoth ash body, and an Allparts neck. The body was naked when i got it shipped over, then i got it finished at DM guitars, he did a very nice job.

• Members

What gauge do you recommend? Weichs?

How do you feel about them for bowing? I do eventually want to get some facility with a bow; Bob Gollihur's opinion on Spiro's is that they aren't great with a bow ("scratchy" was his descriptor).

Is there a string that makes a good compromise? Have you tried Corelli's?

Re: Rabbath - he's the "four-finger" guy, right? More of an electric type technique?

i use the bow with them, my bass is a very dark instrument so there is some balance there. it's a bit on the scratchy side, but not so much on my bass that i really bugs me (and it doesnt seem to bug other folks when i'm in a section)

corelli fortes are good, but still not as much sustain. the best strings i have tried are the Velvet Garbos....holy hell they're nice and $300 a set (so i dont have any now lol)

rabbath is one of the techiniques i have asymilated into my playing and you're basically right about him...there's more to it that just that...but you're on the right track...in a nutshell i USE my 3rd finger in lower postitions and i'm damn good at it... :D:D:D

• Members

Bob Gollihur's opinion on Spiro's is that they aren't great with a bow ("scratchy" was his descriptor).

That's strange...I reckon spirocores sound dull with little sustain with pizz and loud and full with arco. I did about 5 years of classical lessons on 'em!

• Members

Originally posted by NeonVomit

There is nothing that compares with the power one gets from a low, held arco note with a German bow
:eek:

+1

And leaning over that sucker and making it sing is just about as close to Nirvana as we can get in this lifetime of ours.

Archived