Paging Dr. West, Ventura West, you have a consult at Tisch Hospital.

Andy Rontal

• Members

Originally posted by Andy Rontal

Hey doc,

So what's the story? Are you going to be pimping me the next two years or what?

had quite a talk with my chairman yesterday. he's all in support of my going up there (is that a good sign or a bad one? i have no idea). am currently finalizing a few issues, in particular:

a) how the hell can i afford a place to live in the lower east side or murray hill so i can walk to work,

b) how am i going to give up my band, my gym, and all my friends to start my life over?

c) when am i going to break up with the girlfriend so i CAN start life over???

so to recap: the story is, as of yet, unfinished. but i have an offer letter in hand, which i haven't signed yet.

any advice, young ENT-jedi-in-training?

• Members

Originally posted by venturawest

you got a woman and you want her gone

but you ain't got the guts?

she keep nagging at you night and day

enough to drive you nuts

pick up the phone

leave her alone

it's time you made a stand

for a fee

I'm happy to be

your back door man

• Members

you know, when lug says he's gonna be my "back door man", it takes on a much more...prison rape context.

Rape?!?!? No Way! :mad: You know you'll be begging for it by the 8th ruffie. :mad:

• Members

had quite a talk with my chairman yesterday. he's all in support of my going up there (is that a good sign or a bad one? i have no idea). am currently finalizing a few issues, in particular:

a) how the hell can i afford a place to live in the lower east side or murray hill so i can walk to work,

b) how am i going to give up my band, my gym, and all my friends to start my life over?

so to recap: the story is, as of yet, unfinished. but i have an offer letter in hand, which i haven't signed yet.

any advice, young ENT-jedi-in-training?

b) you can't spit in New York for hitting a musician.

c) I can't remember if this is psycho #1 , #2, or where we are in the chain, but you change your locks, change your number, dump her via pay phone, and get on the next plane to NYC. :thu:

a) if you start insisting on cash for services with respect to back door lug, you should be set. :D

• Members

a) Affordable rent in Murray Hill, Grammercy, East Village, Union Square, Alphabet City or the Lower East Side.

Well, it ain't easy. Part of that depends on your definition of affordable. In any of these areas you should expect to pay no less than $1200 for a small 1 bedroom. Probably more like 15 to 1700 for a place that isn't a craphole (although I've seen some great apartments for 1200 or less, they're just hard to come by). If you want a studio, you can probably find something cheaper. Right now I think Murray Hill is cheaper than the East Village, Union Square area, and Alphabet City and parts of the Lower East Side are blowing up in terms of rent. Murray Hill is older 20 and 30 somethings, and, although bland, is a bit more quiet and liveable. That said, I live in Union Square and love it. You can find cheaper rent on the Upper East Side as you move farther East. Nice high rise apartments that go for less because it's not as hip of an area. But, it's the Upper East Side. If it were earlier in the year you might have had a shot at one of NYU's subsidized apartments in Skirball. THey're supposed to be nice and much cheaper than surrounding rent. Just expect to take it in the ass a bit if you want to be tied down to a particular location. It happens. You'll definitely find a place, but you'll pay more if you require a certain distance from Tisch/Bellevue/VA. One good bet for you might be to check Stuyvessant/Peter Cooper Village. It's a huge complex of buildings off of 1st Ave that is a bit more family oriented. Looks like projects, but the places are pretty nice. I have some friends that live over there...and it's VERY close to the hospitals.

Lower East Side and Alphabet City are a bit far of a walk to the hospitals to be really convenient. It would be about a 40minute walk. If you want convenience in terms of proximity to the hospitals, Murray Hill, Stuyvessant, Gramercy, Union Square and the North part of the Village are the areas you need to look at.

b) Your life? Well, that's always tough. As far as music goes, NYC is the musical center of the world. Any day of the week you can see anything you want. No exageration. Youu can definitely find people to play with, although the seen here is hard to break into. You'll probably have access to the music room at the School of Music, which will make jamming easier as it would cost $20-50 per session.

There are a million gyms in NYC.

Friends, NYC can be a bit rough when you first move here. Personally, I'll be slave to the man...err...you...next year.

c) I'm not gonna venture into that territory...

• Members

a) Affordable rent in Murray Hill, Grammercy, East Village, Union Square, Alphabet City or the Lower East Side.

Well, it ain't easy. Part of that depends on your definition of affordable. In any of these areas you should expect to pay no less than $1200 for a small 1 bedroom. Probably more like 15 to 1700 for a place that isn't a craphole (although I've seen some great apartments for 1200 or less, they're just hard to come by). If you want a studio, you can probably find something cheaper. Right now I think Murray Hill is cheaper than the East Village, Union Square area, and Alphabet City and parts of the Lower East Side are blowing up in terms of rent. Murray Hill is older 20 and 30 somethings, and, although bland, is a bit more quiet and liveable. That said, I live in Union Square and love it. You can find cheaper rent on the Upper East Side as you move farther East. Nice high rise apartments that go for less because it's not as hip of an area. But, it's the Upper East Side. If it were earlier in the year you might have had a shot at one of NYU's subsidized apartments in Skirball. THey're supposed to be nice and much cheaper than surrounding rent. Just expect to take it in the ass a bit if you want to be tied down to a particular location. It happens. You'll definitely find a place, but you'll pay more if you require a certain distance from Tisch/Bellevue/VA. One good bet for you might be to check Stuyvessant/Peter Cooper Village. It's a huge complex of buildings off of 1st Ave that is a bit more family oriented. Looks like projects, but the places are pretty nice. I have some friends that live over there...and it's VERY close to the hospitals.

Lower East Side and Alphabet City are a bit far of a walk to the hospitals to be really convenient. It would be about a 40minute walk. If you want convenience in terms of proximity to the hospitals, Murray Hill, Stuyvessant, Gramercy, Union Square and the North part of the Village are the areas you need to look at.

b) Your life? Well, that's always tough. As far as music goes, NYC is the musical center of the world. Any day of the week you can see anything you want. No exageration. Youu can definitely find people to play with, although the seen here is hard to break into. You'll probably have access to the music room at the School of Music, which will make jamming easier as it would cost $20-50 per session.

There are a million gyms in NYC.

Friends, NYC can be a bit rough when you first move here. Personally, I'll be slave to the man...err...you...next year.

c) I'm not gonna venture into that territory...

if this is all correct, then i feel a lot better. i expected to pay closer to $3000 just to rent a one bedroom in that neighbourhood, which would have been excruciating. if i could find a one bedroom (ideally plus a small den/office for musical gear) for $2k a month, i'd be thrilled - and it would probably put me a lot closer to signing the deal. i would really like to AVOID: a) high rises (sick of em; if i could find a walk up or a brownstone, so much the better), b) having to take a long train ride, ie from the upper east side (plus, few single women up there, the way i sees it), and c) most definitely DO NOT want to take a bus crosstown every morning. can i find a walkup or smaller building in those areas somewhere for an affordable price?

oh, the skirball thing - i have vowed this: if i move to new york, i am absolutely not living in a high rise with other NYU people. i want to be around people like me, single and fun, not surrounded by faculty and residents whom i'll see every day at work any way (ugh). i try to keep my personal life and work life as separate as possible. it works for me...

i know i can find a new gym. it's just scary to think of not having my friends, etc. and having to work out by myself every day, but eventually i suppose i'll make new friends at the gym, too. my band just broke up last night, so i can find a new one up there i hope?

and as for women: i'll be coming single, i'm pretty sure. it will be up to you, young jedi, to hook a brother up.

• Members

if this is all correct, then i feel a lot better. i expected to pay closer to $3000 just to rent a one bedroom in that neighbourhood, which would have been excruciating. if i could find a one bedroom (ideally plus a small den/office for musical gear) for $2k a month, i'd be thrilled - and it would probably put me a lot closer to signing the deal. i would really like to AVOID: a) high rises (sick of em; if i could find a walk up or a brownstone, so much the better), b) having to take a long train ride, ie from the upper east side (plus, few single women up there, the way i sees it), and c) most definitely DO NOT want to take a bus crosstown every morning. can i find a walkup or smaller building in those areas somewhere for an affordable price?

oh, the skirball thing - i have vowed this: if i move to new york, i am absolutely not living in a high rise with other NYU people. i want to be around people like me, single and fun, not surrounded by faculty and residents whom i'll see every day at work any way (ugh). i try to keep my personal life and work life as separate as possible. it works for me...

i know i can find a new gym. it's just scary to think of not having my friends, etc. and having to work out by myself every day, but eventually i suppose i'll make new friends at the gym, too. my band just broke up last night, so i can find a new one up there i hope?

and as for women: i'll be coming single, i'm pretty sure. it will be up to you, young jedi, to hook a brother up.

You can most definitely find a decent one bedroom for $2k. $3k wouuld get you a large one bedroom in Union Square (I know, that's what Chrissy and I split). For $2k, it might be a little small but you should be able to find something, especially in Murray Hill. There are a lot more high rises in Murray Hill/Gramercy than there are walk-ups, but you never know what you'll find. I'll say this, I'm more of a walk-up, old building with character kind of person...but, when it comes down to it, there are a lot of conveniences that come with a more modern high rise that help out when you're working your balls off (as I'm sure you will be). A doorman to sign for packages, fewer maintenance issues, etc. A friend of ours lives in a walk-up and ends up having all of her packages sent here because otherwise she'd never get them.

As far as walk-ups, No building in the village is over 6 stories (code), so there are plenty over there. The village is also A LOT more happening than Murray Hill...but, the apartments are small and the area has been re-gentrified and populated by hip 20/30 something professionals so you'll pay more for less space. I'd still choose to live in the village more than anywhere else. Commute is walkable from the village, about 30 minutes depending where you are. NYU also has a free shuttle to the hospital that picks up at 3rd Ave and 14th St and Broadway and 4th St (Washington Square campus). It's a bit unreliable, but it works. The East side doesn't have a subway so aside from that you're stuck with buses or cabs if you're feet aren't cooperating.

Bands, you'll probably find something to put together here. There're certainly a ton of musicians, it just might be tough getting something together at first and finding a gig. That said, I saw a band a few weeks ago and the band that opened for them sucked donkey balls.

Gym. I'd recommend joining Crunch as there's one a block from the hospital, and there are others alll over the city. If you live around 4th and 2nd Ave, I recommend Dolphin Fitness (my old gym). I'd say I'd be available to work out, but I'm likely going to be bent over in the corner of a call room taking it in the ass...figuratively speaking.

Women. Well, there are a whole lot of young, attractive, single women in this city. A whoooooooooole lot. I'll do my best, but there's plenty of fish in this sea.

• Members

Going well, Zach! Slaving away in med school...about to start studying for my board exam...yuck.

Other than that, great.

How you doin?

Pretty good. Started a new job a couple months ago, still making beer every so often, playing bass less than I should, volleyball starts up next week, and hockey starts up next month.

Go Avs! :p

• Members

Originally posted by zachoff

Pretty good. Started a new job a couple months ago, still making beer every so often, playing bass less than I should, volleyball starts up next week, and hockey starts up next month.

Go Avs!
:p

I think the wings got you guys licked this year.

• Members

I think the wings got you guys licked this year.

Yeah, I think the Wings might have everyone beat this year. They're pretty solid, unfortunately. We'll see though. Hejduk might get on a roll & Theodore might just come out and stone everyone.

Archived