impedence question

dix0r

• Members

i've just got a GK bass amp...for speaker outs, it's got a high at 8 ohms, and two low outs at 8 each for a total of 4.

I've got a 4x10 that's 4 ohms and a 1x18 that's 8 ohms...

how do i do this without blowing a transformer or something?

• Members

oops...i guess i should have mentioned that it is biamped.

what i need to know though is how to plug the two cabs in...cause i'm an ignant guitarist ;]

4 ohm 4x10 into the high output (with 8 ohm minimum)

8 ohm 1x18 into the low output (total 4 ohm minimum)

or both 4 and 8 ohm cabs into the low outputs (which is supposed to be for total 4 ohm minimum)

sorry :[

• Members

With your cabs, the only way to do it is to run the 410 in the low outs, and the 18" in the 100W biamp. Not really going to sound good IMO.

I never liked the biamp feature on the 800RB- it may sound good with just a horn in the high output, but I never liked it when I tried it with a normal 10" speaker and a 410 on the lows.

• Members

Originally posted by dix0r

err...if i only run one 4 ohm cab into the 4 ohm total it's OK? (as opposed to two 8 ohm cabs for 4 ohm total)?

promise that's my last question ;]

Yes, you can run just the 4 ohm cab from one of the 2 outputs. You don't need to biamp on that amp - it's there if you want it - I never wanted it.

• Members

As a general rule you can always run MORE impedance than specified. It's when you run LESS that you cross into the danger zone.

IIRC that head has an active crossover circuit, meaning it wants to put the highs out of the 'high' output, and the lows out of the 'low'. To get it to perform correctly you'd need to have cabs that meet that basic description, i.e. An 8ohm horn and one (or 2) 4ohm Woofers. An 8ohm woofer would do as well.

Archived