Mic/DI/emulated out on genz benz head

Ryan F

• Members

My bass player has a genz benz bass head, and soundguys only want him to do a direct to board right after his bass before the signal goes to the amp. The problem is that what they make it sound is absolutely nothing like what his bass sounds like, and doesnt seem to fit at all.

We've tried asking them to use the direct out from the head, but they say that that wont work.

Any thoughts?

• Members

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey

I've never had a sound guy make me use a DI box when I've told them my amp has a direct out. In fact, most of the sound guys usually ask if you have a direct out first.

+1

• Members

My band isnt big enough to have our own soundguy, the places we play at provide the system and a soundman. Whenever we record ourselves, i always run the line out of the bass head and it sounds so much better.

Should we ignore the soundguys wishes and just plug in the back?

• Members

rule 1: never piss off the soundguy! he is the one person who can make your band sound {censored}, despite how good you guys may be. Just talk to him nicely and explain the situation. Once again, I've never had a soundguy refuse to take the DI out of the head.

• Members

Last time I did the switch without looking, the soundguy came back in a fury screaming at me, somehow 15 minutes later the bass amp's preamp stopped working. The damn soundguy switched the in/out on the DI box, and ran the +48v of phantom power into the amp input.

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan F

Last time I did the switch without looking, the soundguy came back in a fury screaming at me...

Yes, that could be an expected result.

The Genz Benz heads (depending on model of course) generally have the choice of a pre-post switch, allowing the PA to receive a phantom power protected signal buffered right off of the bass (pre) or after the tone shaping and eq (post). Models that do not have the pre-post switch generally derive their signal as a "pre" source.

Generally, when working as a sound provider, I much prefer a pre-eq signal as my PAs sound (w/ real subs) vastly different from a bass cabinet and out in the room, the eq will need to be different that what is necessary on stage. I am also concerned with how the bass fits into the mix of the band out in the room which is going to sound different that what you hear on stage. If you have a "butt-head" engineer though, it's probably not going to matter much though as everything else will be a struggle for you to;)

• Members

An [good] active DI in line with your bass is also an acceptable alternative as it buffers the feed to the PA as well as providing needed isolation.

A passive bass needs an active DI due to high output impedance of the pickups. Most active basses do not suffer from this and can work well with a passive DI.

Archived