Jazz band audition Tomorrow...

degroove

• Members

Answered a ad on HC for people interested in forming a jazz band posted by a drummer. Responded, and am meeting up with a guitarist (who I have been communcating with via email) to prepare a setlist for tomorrow, Tuesday, 05/30/2006. :thu:

This is my first Jazz audition, and first audition for a group in quite a while. The songs we are going over are:

Autumn Leaves

Summertime

Blue in Green

All of Me

Route 66

Satin Doll

Laura

That's All

Blue Bossa

Girl from Ipanema

My Funny Valentine

I feel like I have most songs down, but some better than others. I realized I was playing the wrong chords on Autumn Leaves cuase I had incorrect chords on a lead sheet. I followed the chords in my Aebersold book, and it was much close to the Cannonball Adderly version.

Anyways, any tips? I am excited and nervous. Guess this is one way to learn if I suck at jazz or not!! ;)

Seems like it will be a trio tomorrow (drums, guitar, bass) for the first audtion.

Kenett Square, here I come.

• Members

It's normal to be excited and nervous before an audition. Make sure you have everything you need before you go (cords, strap, etc.), and maybe take a note pad and pen with you, in case you need to write something down when you're there.

• Members

Originally posted by Detox

It's normal to be excited and nervous before an audition. Make sure you have everything you need before you go (cords, strap, etc.), and maybe take a note pad and pen with you, in case you need to write something down when you're there.

That's what I did tonight...

Bass...check

Strap...check

Music Stand, Music, CDs with music, books...check

Tuner, chords...check

Amp, Amp Cable...check.

Google Map Directions...check.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by degroove

I realized I was playing the wrong chords on Autumn Leaves cuase I had incorrect chords on a lead sheet. I followed the chords in my Aebersold book, and it was much close to the Cannonball Adderly version.

Not to worry, Autumn Leaves is nothing but ii-V-I's, one right after another, it only goes away once in the middle, easy stuff. If you have your ii-V-I's down, you'll breeze right through it. The rest? Hang loose and have fun with it!

• Members

Originally posted by fake-bass

good luck man!

being in a jazz band has provided the most growth (musically) for me...its been the best!

those tunes are cool...

again, good luck!

Fake-bass -

I agree with this staement 100%. For me, first I wanted to be able to rock and jam out and accomplished that goal. Then I wanted to do blues and get comfortable with walking bass lines and have gotten to where I am conformable there as well. For me, the next step is Jazz. It takes me so much more effort to learn the stuff, but it is really improving my playing nonethess.

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

Not to worry, Autumn Leaves is nothing but ii-V-I's, one right after another, it only goes away once in the middle, easy stuff. If you have your ii-V-I's down, you'll breeze right through it. The rest? Hang loose and have fun with it!

Yes,

I realized that last night. I was having trouble with some of the aebersold book notation. I have a question

A Half-Dimished Chord: is this the same as a minor seven flat five chord? Ex Aminor7b5?

Also, he uses C with a triangle. Is this just C Major or is it a C augmented chord?

I hate the little triangles and circles he uses, they are more confusing than Real Book notation.

• Members

Cool. I'm forming a group now and we do most of the same numbers. Try doing Autumn Leaves as half notes the first go-through and then on to quarter notes for the rest of the time. It sounds awesome that way and the song benefits especially if the drummer is into it, too. Footprints is a cool song, too and it's 3/4 time which breaks up the music a little bit. I finally found someone who can do Angel Eyes on guitar. There's only one other person in Cleveland that plays it to my knowledge.

• Members

Originally posted by Perfessor

Cool. I'm forming a group now and we do most of the same numbers. Try doing Autumn Leaves as half notes the first go-through and then on to quarter notes for the rest of the time. It sounds awesome that way and the song benefits especially if the drummer is into it, too. Footprints is a cool song, too and it's 3/4 time which breaks up the music a little bit. I finally found someone who can do Angel Eyes on guitar. There's only one other person in Cleveland that plays it to my knowledge.

Cool, thanks.

Blue Bossa and Girl From Ipanema also break up the monotany too as they are bossa tunes. I LOVE afro cuban, bossa, stuff. Like Perdido and Manteca and Bemsha Swing.

Footprints is in 3/4. I have never tried playing it. Walking 3/4 should be interesting. Footprints is a Miles tune, correct?

How is your group going Perfesor? What is the lineup?

Archived