Fender Bassman... old ones.

The Unknown

• Members

I have a 69 bassman 50 head and matching 2x15 cab. I think it sounds absolutely amazing. I would think the earlier 4x10s would be just as good. Low volume, but just mic it if needed.

• Members

I was in my first "band" using the bassman. I remember I could easily keep up with the drummer. I even remember them telling me to turn down. It gets really really dirty at that volume, but if you like that type of sound, then its sweet.

• Members

When I had my Bassman 135, and ran it through 3 15s, I could drown out any drummer & a guitarist using a Roc Pro 1000 halfstack (awfully loud for a hybrid amp) with the master only on 4.

rigwithbass.jpg

That was when I was in a "death metal" band for about 3 weeks. I hated the music, I just wanted some experience.

• CMS Author

Back in the late 70's I had several of them...a blackface, and a couple of silverface 50's. They're loud, but not really so great for bass....they really have always been better guitar heads.

I'd look for a V-4B unless you can find a good Bassman 50 or 135 for cheap.

• Members

Most of the newer amps (most brands) are based on the original Bassman designs. I have 4 Bassman amps- a 50 watt SF head, a 50 watt BF head, a 100 watt SF head, and a Bassman 10 combo SF 70 watts with 4-10" speakers. I have 2 2-15" cabs with JBL D-140's in each cab. They need to meet original specs. to sound good or be modified by someone who knows what they are doing. I like 'em.

Archived