What's a good hum-cancelling Jazz pickup?

Ace Of Bass

• Members

Just need one, for my weird bass with the single Jazz pickup. It's a little noisey.

This bass is a great slapper, and will be used primarily as such, so punch is important.

I was considering EMGs. Barts are a bit too Warm and gurgley for this bass.

The bass is a 4-string Solo.

• Members

Originally posted by PrestiaRules

stacked hums will work, ultra Jazz from Dimarzio,

+1 I've got these in one of my basses and I'm really happy with them - no hum, and they reproduce a single coil sound fairly well.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

What pickup ended up sounding better? It was the bridge pickup, and, IMO, bridge pickups do tend to "honk" a bit...

I had it with a Carvin h50 in the neck position. The Carvin I had lying around and the SD I bought as an experiment. I ended up putting another Carvin in the bridge position. I realize the bridge position always honks a bit, but the Hot Stack seemed to emphasize it a lot. It definitely cut, but I wanted something rounder and fuller.

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

If the Nordstrand stacked jazz sounds even half as good as the NJ4 single coil I heard in Bpocall's Warmoth, I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed! That bass sounded fantastic!

That'd be my recomendation as well. I dig my NJ4's and, if the stacked sound anywere near as good as mine, they're gold.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by chris-dax

that's what I have and am very pleased with the sound.

I can get what I consider a decent slap tone with them....c-d

+1 The DiMarzio Ultra Jazz is surprisingly quiet and very hot.

I also happened to play the new active mexi jazz the other day and it has the Fender Noiseless pups on them. In either single mode, they were deadly quiet and had good tone. Don't know how they'd fare passive, though.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by miles to go

I had it with a Carvin h50 in the neck position. The Carvin I had lying around and the SD I bought as an experiment. I ended up putting another Carvin in the bridge position. I realize the bridge position always honks a bit, but the Hot Stack seemed to emphasize it a lot. It definitely cut, but I wanted something rounder and fuller.

That was the other pickup that really interested me. I've never heard much good stuff about carvin pickups, alhtough the one time I played a carvin J, I loved the pickups, though I don't think they were stacked.

So, for the price, how's the h50?

• Members

I found the h50's to be very even and smooth, almost compressed sounding. They're not particularly aggressive, but nice and full. If punch is what you're after, you might want to look elsewhere. I'd say they're good pickups but not great. I probably wouldn't replace them in a bass, but I'm not sure they'd be my first choice for another upgrade.

I shielded the pickup and control cavities when I put these in and the bass was whisper quiet.

• Members

Originally posted by baracuda2004

get either an MEC or a bart..not a lot of punch and both sound awesome for slapping..IMHO

I like barts, but hate MECs.

I just saw a listing for this pickup:

17_1.JPG

It doesn't say it's hum cancelling or any model number, but it has to be with that magnet structure, right?

• Members

A tip:

A J pickup that has a single, large pole piece per string will give you much greater punch than one with 2 per string, if any exist. A blade-style J will do the same (eg. EMG). Failing that, you could install a MM tapped to single coil, or any other humbucker for that matter.

EDIT: Missed the part where it needs to be hum-cancelling. In that case, disregard most of what I just said, and go for the pickup that has the largest pole pieces. Oh bollocks, you're quick at replying.

• Members

Originally posted by rastafarian_nz

A tip:

A J pickup that has a single, large pole piece per string will give you much greater punch than one with 2 per string, if any exist. A blade-style J will do the same (eg. EMG). Failing that, you could install a MM tapped to single coil, or any other humbucker for that matter.

Well, I already have two MM style basses.

I'm most concerned about cutting down noise, so I'm not sure how well the EMG will work. I love the sound, but how noisey are they?

The current pickup is okay, but it's very noisey and has a very harsh tone to it.

I have a stacked humbucker in another bass--I want to keep it in that bass, but I suppose I could take out and put it in the Single-J to see how much of a difference it really makes on noise.

Archived