Are those "10 pairs for $10" deals on drumsticks a good deal?

BEAD

• Members

They're okay if you don't mind breaking sticks. The tips aren't hard enough, IMO, if you're using the ride cymbal predominantly (but you'll probably want plastic tips for that anyway).

I use them because I break them within about a dozen songs, which means I've got a stick to toss out into the crowd, which people eat right up. If he's not good with swapping out sticks for a good one in the middle of a song, though, probably stay away.

The part about rolling them on a table is good advice too, but if the drummer isn't really picky, it really doesn't matter if it's perfectly straight or not. The sticks are often so different that you've got to match them up to other ones anyway... the tips will be different (quite noticeable) sizes, some will be hard and some will be soft, etc.

In the end, 10 pairs for $10 will last you longer than one pair for $8, though.

• Members

If your drummer doesn't mind using low quality sticks, he might as well save a few bucks. I play with only VicFirth sticks, which you'll never see at that price. Generally, they're... I think RegalTip sticks sold in those bundles. RegalTips aren't too cymbal-friendly as they're rather dense, at least when compared to VicFirths. Also, if they come in a size he doesn't like to use, it's a complete waste of money.

• Members

I had an old drummer who used 'em. He didn't care that much so they were fine for his standards. He also broke sticks regularly so the fact that they were only a buck a pair was appealing.

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

...my drummer wants to know.

:o

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nova-12Pair-Hickory-Drumsticks?sku=449870&src=3SOSWXXA

This is the best bang for your buck I have found. Nova sticks are just what it says, vic firth sticks that have minor blemishes. I play them and I use 7As which are tiny and I don't break em very often. The nylon tips (If you like nylon) are great and I think in all the time I have been playing them, I have broken 2 (Tips that is).

The last time I bought a 12 pair box, they lasted me almost a year.

Archived