getting scammed on eBay

ryanstanley

• Members

alright, im sure this has happened to a few of you on here..tell me if you think im getting scammed here

i just ordered an SVTII on ebay, and never got it. he's been perfectly nice up til now, responding to emails and everything, seems somewhat concerned i havent gotten it, etc.

but i still didnt get it. and he never got a tracking number, which i specifically asked for

what happened was, I saw the bass on eBay and I asked a few questions about it. at the end of the auction, the high bidder was international and he couldnt ship internetionally so he emailed and asked if i wanted it. the whole time, on the auction, it said he couldnt take paypal, so i asked if it was ok if i wired it, since i wanted to use credit (which means, basically, that there's no contract at all without ebay OR paypal involved.. but it was me asking to do it, so i didnt think it was a problem). he said OK. i paid, he said he shipped it 3-day Air. then i didnt get it. and he says "oh, well i sent my wife to ship it, and she didnt get the tracking number or keep the reciept or anything, and i think she forgot to insure".... ok, well hopefully i still get it. nope. never comes. i ask him whats up, he says he went to the post office and asked but they wouldnt look it up without the number. and that was the last email he sent

think its a scam?

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

You may be SOL.

Sorry.

+1. Plus the pic he used is a stock pic. I never buy anything unless I can see an actual pic of it.

if I were you I'd contact your credit card company and see if he charged it. and if so contact their fraud department and explain the situation to them

• Members

well it doesnt even really matter, the transaction wasnt through ebay anyway... there's no contract at all binding either of us

but i do have every email ever sent, and a phone number to call to report mail fraud :evil:

do you think this email would be too harsh? consider if he HADNT been scamming me, and got this-- appropriate? too harsh?

of course if he HAS scammed me, then the email's pointless anyway..

but yeah (havent sent it yet, btw) :

Hey.. I still haven't gotten the amp. I'm beginning to wonder now, what the problem is.

I didn't want to have to resort to this, but it's beginning to appear that I'm not getting the amp, so I'd like to ask for my money back. Not necessarily every bit of it, because as far as I can tell this is just an honest mistake gone wrong, so I'd be willing to work with you if you're willing to work with me. I've been a victim of online scams before and dispite what everyone keeps telling me, I don't think that's what's happened here, or I'd've just gone ahead and filed a report.. But the bottom line is, I paid you for a product, and I never got it. I asked for a tracking number and if I had gotten it this entire crisis could've been averted. I apologize if I'm coming off sounding harsh, that's not my intention, I'm just trying to explain to you where I'm coming from. I just moved into my new house and lost my job at the same time.. So a financial loss like this came at the worst possible time.. I may have had to sell the amp once I got it anyway, but now I can't even do that.

I understand you got the money right before the trip, and you may have already spent a great deal of it, so I'd be willing to take it in segments.. Just as much as you can right now. And like I said, since this is happening to both of us, I won't ask for all the money. I havent really thought about how much would be fair, so if you would like you can call me and we can work it out over the phone.. (352) 235-1159

• Members

I don't think that's harsh enough to tell you the truth. As much money as you dropped on the thing I would make it a point to drive home to the guy what measures you're going to take if you don't recieve the amp in the next day or so. Nothing wrong with lighting a fire under someones ass who you think is out to screw you

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

I don't think that's harsh enough to tell you the truth. As much money as you dropped on the thing I would make it a point to drive home to the guy what measures you're going to take if you don't recieve the amp in the next day or so. Nothing wrong with lighting a fire under someones ass who you think is out to screw you

yeah, but what if he's not?

there's still the chance this is all just an honest mistake. and in that case, i dont want to piss him off to where he wont give me any money. cause then, if i report mail fraud, i just won't get anything., cause he didnt scam me.

of course if he did then i get my money back and maybe a nice settlement if im lucky.. but still, what if he's really being honest, you know? i want my money, or an amp goddamnit!

• Members

Ryan: Talk to Ebay and see if you can get his contact info. As a last resort (or maybe now since it's been a month) call his local police department and ask for their internet crime officer. I did this 6 years ago and they caught the guy and made him pay back the money he ripped off from me and about 5 others.

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

Did you use a credit card? If so, call them to dispute the charge. they really do work in the interest of the card holder.

would they even do anything though, since it was a legit charge? by that i mean, i made the charge and not someone who stole the card?

• Members

Originally posted by no-logic

Ryan: Talk to Ebay and see if you can get his contact info. As a last resort (or maybe now since it's been a month) call his local police department and ask for their internet crime officer. I did this 6 years ago and they caught the guy and made him pay back the money he ripped off from me and about 5 others.

not a bad idea... ill keep this in mind, depending on how he responds to the email

• Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

would they even do anything though, since it was a legit charge? by that i mean, i made the charge and not someone who stole the card?

Yeah. You made a charge for goods. The goods were not delivered. That is what the CC companies do.

• Members

Originally posted by no-logic

that sounds like a good route to go

• Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

yeah, but what if he's not?

there's still the chance this is all just an honest mistake. and in that case, i dont want to piss him off to where he wont give me any money. cause then, if i report mail fraud, i just won't get anything., cause he didnt scam me.

of course if he did then i get my money back and maybe a nice settlement if im lucky.. but still, what if he's really being honest, you know? i want my money, or an amp goddamnit!

you obviously put way too much faith in people..get a clue. There's like 1 in a billion chance he's telling the truth...way too many coincidences for me man..(oh and by 1 in a billion, i meat "0") get the authorities right away..the longer you wait the harder it'll be to remedy the situation..

• Members

Originally posted by baracuda2004

you obviously put way too much faith in people..get a clue. There's like 1 in a billion chance he's telling the truth...way too many coincidences for me man..(oh and by 1 in a billion, i meat "0") get the authorities right away..the longer you wait the harder it'll be to remedy the situation..

+1

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

+1. Plus the pic he used is a stock pic. I never buy anything unless I can see an actual pic of it.

if I were you I'd contact your credit card company and see if he charged it. and if so contact their fraud department and explain the situation to them

+1

• Members

Originally posted by Cortfan

You need to report this to your credit card company, and his local law enforcement NOW! You have been screwed. Don't wait.

Absolutely. I'd be cancelling that card and getting another, as I assume he has your CC number.

Billy-B

Archived