Shielding my SX

The Aardvark

• Members

Well I just pulled the trigger on another SX (my second). I'm gonna replace the pups, electronics and bridge. While I'm in there, I want to shield the cavities too. So, what's the best thing to use? Copper shielding tape from warmoth (or someplace else)? Maybe some kind of shielding paint? I have had some problems with hum on my current SX and want to nip it in the bud on this one!

• Members

Originally posted by The Aardvark

Well I just pulled the trigger on another SX (my second). I'm gonna replace the pups, electronics and bridge. While I'm in there, I want to shield the cavities too. So, what's the best thing to use? Copper shielding tape from warmoth (or someplace else)? Maybe some kind of shielding paint? I have had some problems with hum on my current SX and want to nip it in the bud on this one!

Shielding paint might be the easiest to apply.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Shielding_Paint.html

Stewmac probably aren't the cheapest, though.

You're going to have some hum/buzz with single-coil Jazz pups. It's a fact of life. I know there are stacked-coil replacement pups out there to give you that nice, warm Jazz growl without the noise.

Have fun! :thu:

• Members

Check out Shielding and Wiring here - it focus' mainly on Strat style guitars, but the theory can be applied for single coil basses as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

So, what bridge are you looking at? I'm pretty happy with the Gotoh 201 on my SX Jazz.

Bridge - Badass III

Pups - Fender Custom Shop '60s

I'm also gonna replace the nut with Brass. Should be a mean and nasty, growly MoFo!

• Members

i picked up the shielding kit from stewmac

this one, to be exact

to shield my JAF because i'm going with passive barts in it. i thought about going the tape or paint route, but the kit comes with a couple of nice sized sheets in addition to the tape, so i went with it. plus, shipping on a roll of the tape is as much as the tape itself...

YMMV.

• Members

Bridge - Badass III

Pups - Fender Custom Shop '60s

I'm also gonna replace the nut with Brass. Should be a mean and nasty, growly MoFo!

:thu:

I put the Fender pups in mine.

Mmm...growly Jazz goodness...:love:

Archived