Tube stupid

sgt_politeness

• Members

yes , always a good idea ;) Also a good idea to check it again and again after days/months/years of use as they change with use .Ask your tech to teach you , hopefully the amp has a bias pot or it can be added and there are cool things like the Bias king and https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/biasrite/br_page.htm to make it easier. But don't mess with it if you don't know what you are doing , as to avoid a killer shock . ;) I would check the #'s again after you bias it , they may or may not be the same in your amp , but it helps to place them so as to put the best match 2 stronger and 2 weaker together to get the most even push/pull also helps if you take them out later to put them back where you got them or you may need to recheck the bias , the bias rite is super easy to use so have your tech teach you so you can maintain it over the years yourself . ;)

• Members

Even matched pairs, if you stick them on a tester, often are off a bit. Unless your amp is self biasing you need to have them biased to get optimum tone and longevity out of them. www.webervst.com sells a Bias Right that makes biasing a snap and pays for itself in a couple of tube changes.

• Members

Originally posted by misterhinkydink

I wouldn't sweat it. Going from one brand of 6L6 to another isn't going to make that much difference.

Oh yes it will. Especially in that amp. Squeezing 150 watts out of 4 6L6s? That'd melt most crappy tubes. He NEEDS to get that amp biased, or else something serious could go very wrong.

• Members

Originally posted by misterhinkydink

You don't know what you're talking about.
:rolleyes:

Don't get me started. I owned a Music Man HD130. Same amp, but with EL34s. These amps put 700+ volts on the plates, whereas most other amps do 400-500. Not only does he need to get it biased, he needs to use a very robust tube, like the JJs.

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

Don't get me started. I owned a Music Man HD130. Same amp, but with EL34s. These amps put 700+ volts on the plates, whereas most other amps do 400-500. Not only does he need to get it biased, he needs to use a very robust tube, like the JJs.

He is using JJs which are more like a 7027a. He won't have a problem. :rolleyes:

Archived