OT: Big and powerful scooters

RoboChrist

• Members

Hey everybody,

I don't know about you guys, but these new scooters that are coming out...you know, those ones that look like a personal watercraft with two wheels? They seem like a lot of fun. They're supposed to be fast, fully automatic, and they look damn comfy. Anyone in here use one?

BV500_bg.jpg

^ Piaggio BV500 - 150 HP (EDIT: excuse me that's 150 cc - dumbass), top speed 100 mph

• Members

Can I question the 150hp rating on that one?

Are you sure it's not 150cc?

With 150hp, the top speed should be closer to 300mph, not one hundred.

My best friend rides a 200cc scooter, and is now selling her old 150cc one (with flames painted down the side.) The 200cc one will do 80 or 90mph, the other about 70mph.

• Members

Bought the wife two scooters for her B-day/anniversary from Fun-Bikes.com 150cc, automatic 103 MPG just to tool around Ballard with her friends. I must admit, they are fun to ride and I don't even feel gay riding it....."not that there's anything wrong with that"....Have you guys checked out the Honda Silverwing lately? It's more like a Pacific Coast bike.

• Members

They will become popular among older cyclists who can no longer swing their leg over the bike or cannot get their left leg down to hold up the bike at a stop.

I saw a weird contraption two weeks ago. A Honda Silverwing with a permanent saftey/training-wheels bracket.

:confused:

When I got closer, I noticed the rider's crutches hanging and strapped down on the bracket. Very cool. I was heading to Baton Rouge and he was heading to ride the Natchez trace.

My 70-year old neighbor just traded in his GoldWing because his arthritis keeps him from moving his left leg quick enough. He nearly dropped it twice the last week he had it. He traded it in for something lighter and more nimble...a 'Busa!!!

:eek:

• Members

i'd have to agree about getting the motorcycle. you can get more bang for your buck, and i think they look cooler. the smaller ones can get in the 75-100 mpg range and a big thing with me is the no hassling getting on the interstate. i know some of the more powerful scooters are interstate legal, but you can't tell from looking at them. i use the interstate alot and would rather have a bike so i could hop on and off easily.

• Members

Originally posted by Markee

Bought the wife two scooters for her B-day/anniversary from Fun-Bikes.com 150cc, automatic 103 MPG just to tool around Ballard with her friends. I must admit, they are fun to ride and I don't even feel gay riding it....."not that there's anything wrong with that"....Have you guys checked out the Honda Silverwing lately? It's more like a Pacific Coast bike.

Hhmmm..... tons of new scooter riders in Ballard.

What do she and her crew look like?

* I live up near sunset hill - sorta *

• Members

THe big thing here (in Vegas) is that smaller scoots don't require tags or insurance, so you see a lot of 'imigrants' riding them, and dudes who have had their licenses pulled for DUI... anything over 50cc or over has to be tagged and insured, so they ride the little ones. I thought about getting a 150 and just removing the '1' from the badge, the cops would never be able to tell the difference just by looking....

Motorcycle is definitly the way to go, cooler all around, but if you are looking for something on the cheap, a scooter can't be beat.

• Members

Originally posted by bassred

Motorcycle is definitly the way to go, cooler all around, but if you are looking for something on the cheap, a scooter can't be beat.

Yeah a decent used motorcycle will give me a hell of a lot more bang for the buck...but down/upshifting gears and matching engine speed to the speedo and all that mumbo-jumbo... :eek:

..thanks for the replies!

• Members

Originally posted by RoboChrist

Yeah a decent used motorcycle will give me a hell of a lot more bang for the buck...but down/upshifting gears and matching engine speed to the speedo and all that mumbo-jumbo...
:eek:

..thanks for the replies!

Versus being on a slow POS that doesn't accelerate, stop or turn worth a {censored}.

I think the scooter boom is going to lead to an increase in motorcycle fatalities because the DOT will not differentiate between the two.

I see dumbasses hauling ass through town on those little pieces of crap wearing bicycle helmets.

All of the "mumbo jumbo" becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. Also, if you have a bike like the SV650 that I linked to above, you really don't have to worry about matching engine speed. It will pull harder at 1500 rpm than that 500 cc scooter will wide open.

I think scooters are neat and fun, but I'd never want to commute on one. I see enough crazy {censored} on a bike that can do amazing things, I'd never want to deal with rush hour traffic on a little scooter that cannot perform as needed to keep it shiny side up.

If your commute is only through 25 mph zones, then have at it.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

Versus being on a slow POS that doesn't accelerate, stop or turn worth a {censored}.

I think the scooter boom is going to lead to an increase in motorcycle fatalities because the DOT will not differentiate between the two.

I see dumbasses hauling ass through town on those little pieces of crap wearing bicycle helmets.

All of the "mumbo jumbo" becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. Also, if you have a bike like the SV650 that I linked to above, you really don't have to worry about matching engine speed. It will pull harder at 1500 rpm than that 500 cc scooter will wide open.

I think scooters are neat and fun, but I'd never want to commute on one. I see enough crazy {censored} on a bike that can do amazing things, I'd never want to deal with rush hour traffic on a little scooter that cannot perform as needed to keep it shiny side up.

If your commute is only through 25 mph zones, then have at it.

Hmmm...thanks....I was seriously considering that bike at one point (an SV)...

• Members

Originally posted by RoboChrist

Hmmm...thanks....I was seriously considering that bike at one point (an SV)...

The SV650s are perfect starter bikes, just go used if possible.

Better still, buy an old Honda VFR500 or 750.

You can get one of those for a song. Ride for a year sell it for what you paid for it and buy a shiny new bike of your choice.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

The SV650s are perfect starter bikes, just go used if possible.

Better still, buy an old Honda VFR500 or 750.

Ahhh, I'm partial to any VFR myself, especially 800's.;)

Another cheap but excellent starter bike, fully capable of highway riding is a Honda CB750, '91 and later. Reliable as a brick, good power, very stable and easy to ride, and NEVER break down. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by knuckle_head

Hhmmm..... tons of new scooter riders in Ballard.

What do she and her crew look like?

* I live up near sunset hill - sorta *

Makes me think of the Ballard Driving School skit from Almost Live.

Sorry for the local reference OT comment that does nothing at all useful for this thread.

• Members

I've had a bunch of scooters (and full sized bikes), for around town they just cannot be beaten, smaller and much lighter than a full sized bike, just get on, twist and go..

I had an Italjet 125 twin cylinder two stroke, that thing {censored}in flew.. Wheelied everytime you took off hard! great handling, soooo much fun and sounded like a small dirt bike! Would also leave behind a lot of smaller motorbikes and could happily do 130kmh on the freeway.

Also had an Aprilia SR50 DI.. he he, we put a 70cc 'big bore' race kit, LeoVince race exhaust, race trans, air filter the whole lot.. Bugger me it was LOUD!! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!

Fun to ride as it only weighed like 80kg? amazing handling for something taht size too, like riding a high powered BMX bike, lock up the rear and slide it sideways into corners, wheelies taking off, burnouts.. fun fun fun!:D

• Members

As a long-time scooterist, I'm more partial to vintage machines. I'm currently working on a '64 Vespa and putting a '81 200cc engine in it. Should be nice when I'm done with it. There's no substitute for a manual transmission, IMHO.

index-vespa.jpg

[Not mine.]

• Members

I think scooters are cool, although I probably wouldn't ride one on the highway. They'd be cool for tooling around town though, and you can't beat the fuel economy.

I'd also love to get a motorcycle, but I have to admit they do scare me quite a bit. The reason they're so dangerous is because of other stupid drivers in cars and trucks, and that can't be avoided.

Archived