Bass Fuzz

Narcosynthesis

• Members

Originally posted by Sensijuana

What do you use fuzz on the bass for? I'm curious cuz it seems to me that it wouldn't be very audible in the over-all mix. I've never used one, so I don't personally know know.

Song 2 - Blur

• Members

I've been on a fuzz quest of late...

The EH English Muff'n is a lovely beast. Tube-driven with 3-band EQ. It holds the bottom end really well (a problem with many od/distortion/fuzz pedals). Gain ranges from mild warmth to full-raging grind. The downsides are that it's large and requires a special 12V power supply. This one is a keeper for me.

I have a Frantone Lo-Tone Classic Fuzz on the way to me for a second option on my pedal board (the English Muff'n will be used for heavy OD). It's designed for bass and supposedly provides a layer of thick, deep fuzz. We'll see how it goes.

I had a Keeley-modifed Rat for about 2 weeks. Despite claims that the mods improve the bass response, I found it to be worthless for use on bass due to serious bottom-end suckage.

My experience with the ZVex Woolly Mammoth was less than excellent. The little thing provides amazing low-end response, and despite a amazingly thick layer of fuzz, note definition remained pretty decent. My issue was that the tone sounded very sterile and industrial without a lot of variety no matter what the knob settings. It's a one-trick pony that does it's trick extrememly well. You might love it (as do quite a few people), I did not.

You'll probably find that with any gain pedal, you'll need to boost the volume a bit to retain your place in the mix of a full band. For me, this makes sense anyway. If I'm using an effect, I want it to be noticed. If it's not noticed, or doesn't contribute to the flavor of the song, there isn't a point to use it.

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

Mostly muse type stuff - half of that has a huge bassline carrying the song while the guitar wanders about and so on, sounds awesome, and hell, I like the sound of a fuzzy bass
:)

David

Wolstenholme runs a Big Muff. Problem solved. :) What you can also try for awesome TIRO/Hysteria tones is to run a stereo/bi-amping kind of thing, running one signal into the Muff and another into some form of a synth pedal, like the Boss SYB-5. The phrase "thick as treacle" springs to mind.

However, if you're doing the bi-amping/whatever thing, then rather leave the synth effect out so you can blend the clean channel with the fuzz, to retain bass frequencies.

• Members

Originally posted by henre

Wolstenholme runs a Big Muff. Problem solved.
:)
What you can also try for awesome TIRO/Hysteria tones is to run a stereo/bi-amping kind of thing, running one signal into the Muff and another into some form of a synth pedal, like the Boss SYB-5. The phrase "thick as treacle" springs to mind.

However, if you're doing the bi-amping/whatever thing, then rather leave the synth effect out so you can blend the clean channel with the fuzz, to retain bass frequencies.

Indeed, partly why I was trying one out today, I was also recommended the Ibanez fuzz, which I can't say I liked too much

The Zvex looks very cool, and the clips I have heard (the video on the site) sound great, just I can't spend that much on a pedal unheard (actually, its a stretch to pay that much even if I had it sitting onfront of me...)

The muff seemed pretty damn good though, and held the bottom end well, looks to be a good choice (and one of the few I can actually try out) - I might try waiting for the new versions (exactly the same sonically, just smaller and a much tougher enclosure)

David

• Members

The Big Muff that I played through killed the low end and the bypass was just as crappy. When it was off there was a substantial amount of grind still comming through.

It did sound sweet, though. If I was going to use one, I'd bi-amp or use something like the Boss Line Selector.

Yo.

• Members

I use a 5k pot as an attenuator coming off the 9V battery in my bass. Active EQ + starved voltage = fuzz. I can't get anywhere near hard distortion before the signal cuts out, but full on distortion is not what I'm looking for. Very touch-sensitive. Currently occupies the place where my volume pot used to be.

Archived