Acetone to clean strings???

chubrocker

• Members

OK, so I'm doing some painting today--trim, metal furniture, etc. I'm wiping down some metal with acetone to clean it and the thought came to me "acetone to clean strings?" I'll have to take them off the bass, of course, but should work, right? Anyone tried it by chance?

• Members

With the strings on the bass to keep them clean: use rubbing alcohol on a cloth (i use a wash cloth) wipe the strings down one at a time, let them dry for a minute.

If you're going to take the strings off: soak them in Denatured Alcohol for about 10 mins...dry them off, restring. It brings back some chime to 'em.

• Members

To clean the strings after playing I just wipe them down with an old hand-towel. If I was to ever take them off to clean them, they would be soaked in denatured alcohol overnight, washed with water and left to dry. I wouldn't even dream of boiling strings due to the expansion/compression of the metal when the temperature changes.

• Members

I've used windex on my guitar strings to great results.

I'd use rubbing alcohol as well.

Originally posted by Ace Of Bass

woudln't oil make the strings deader....

WD-40 removes rust and corrosion, as well as protects against future rust and corrosion. Apparently.

• Members

woudln't oil make the strings deader....

WD40 is mostly petrolium based...with a small amount of oil. I've done boiling, alcohol, you name it. It works.

1. put a plastic bag under the strings

2. spray one coat on the whole strings, wait 15 minutes

3. wipe off with a clean chamois using a twisting motion (with the string wind)

• Members

Originally posted by chubrocker

I rub them now with alcohol and boil my semi-rounds once before buying new. Hmmm, the whole WD-40 thing is iinteresting...

But, WOW! I never thought nickel and acetone would be a bad reaction. GOOD TO KNOW!!

Geez, guys, hush up about that, or we won't be able to bring bass strings on airplanes any more!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Members

Yeah...the simpler the better...I should add that with my way of doing it the strings stay on the bass, all you have to do is detune them to properly wipe them clean.

It takes literally fifteen minutes and for steels it works especially well, since the strings are harder and keep their zing.

• Members

I think I'll stick to using WD-40 on my rosewood fretboards, and keep boiling my strings in water/vinegar.

If I'm lazy and don't want to stink up my kitchen, I also just put the bass strings in the dishwasher when I do a load of dishes. Usually works great, but sometimes they end up with spaghetti sauce stains.

J/K, it works great.

• Members

Originally posted by chubrocker

But, WOW! I never thought nickel and acetone would be a bad reaction. GOOD TO KNOW!!

1. are you serious?

2. if not, quote my first reply for the SUPER SECRET HIDDEN MESSAGE

SUPER SECRET HIDDEN MESSAGE GUYS. SUPER SECRET HIDDEN MESSAGE.

• Members

...petroleum IS oil.

I still think you're trying to pull my leg.

From what I understand, WD-40 is a mix of very light oils and other solvents that is more of a solvent than a lubricant. It evaporates pretty quickly, I wouldn't imagine it'd leave much behind, but I've never tried it on my strings.

• 13 years later...

Archived