pros & cons ---- thunderbird -vs- fender jazz

ryanstanley

• Members

im trying to decide between the two

thunderbirds look cool as hell, and sound great. but theyre unbalanced and uncomfortable as all hell-- but maybe id get used to it.

the fender jazz bass, however, is probably the most comfortable bass ive ever played in my life, smooth, playable neck, sits just right, etc.. but it's too "zingy" imo, if you know what i mean. especially since i use a pick. but it still sounds decent

so what do you guys suggest? which is easier to adapt to-- unfamiliar feel of the bass, or unfamiliar tone? is the thunderbird just cool enough to cancel everything else out? should i get a different bass altogether?

• Members

IMHO, go with the Fender and get either Seymour Duncan p-ups, or go the easy route and get an EMG J-set, no wiring involved. The EMG's have more of a bass-mid range than the mid-high range of Fenders. I actually tried out a Tbird as well, and decided that I can't trade looks for comfort and playability...

If you really didn't want to change pups, then you should try a Schecter C4, Elite 4, or Custom 4. Jazz bass comfort, dual humbucker tone.

• Members

Zingy is good!

You have to remember that what sounds 'zingy' when played alone will be completely buried by distorted guitars and loud drums when you actually play with a band!

That excess zing is there to allow you enough treble to reduce to neutral when you play with a band, ensuring that you still have tone - unlike it's bland, toneless half brother, the P-bass :p

• Members

Originally posted by megadan

Zingy is good!

You have to remember that what sounds 'zingy' when played alone will be completely buried by distorted guitars and loud drums when you actually play with a band!

That excess zing is there to allow you enough treble to reduce to neutral when you play with a band, ensuring that you still have tone - unlike it's bland, toneless half brother, the P-bass
:p

haha, good point

its too bad they wont let you just try equipment out for days at a time :(

• Members

You don't want to buy a bass that you'll have to adapt to-in that case, you'll be fighting the instrument. On that point alone, I'd say go with the Jazz. If it feels natural to you, you'll have fewer problems with it.

There's not a magic "coolness force" included with the TBird that cancels out all its faults. However, nothing says "Southern Rock" like a Thunderbird.

Go with what works best for you.

• Members

Originally posted by 82Daion

You don't want to buy a bass that you'll have to adapt to-in that case, you'll be fighting the instrument. On that point alone, I'd say go with the Jazz. If it feels natural to you, you'll have fewer problems with it.

There's not a magic "coolness force" included with the TBird that cancels out all its faults. However, nothing says "Southern Rock" like a Thunderbird.

Go with what works best for you.

haha, yeah

i pretty much just wanted confirmation out of this thread

my drummer is hardcore about me getting a thunderbird-- and i just dont really like it much. mmkay- fender j it is

• Members

I'd go with the Jazz. Zingy is good, especially if you need to cut through a loud band. You can always go with a stacked-coil pup if you want.

I've got a couple Jazzes and a T-bird. I love 'em all, and really like the different tones they offer. The T-bird is a real pig to play sometimes, but the tone makes it worthwhile.

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

I'd go with the Jazz. Zingy is good, especially if you need to cut through a loud band. You can always go with a stacked-coil pup if you want.

I've got a couple Jazzes and a T-bird. I love 'em all, and really like the different tones they offer. The T-bird is a real pig to play sometimes, but the tone makes it worthwhile.

Hey Thumper. Do you have any T-Bird soundclips?

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

I wish. I don't do any recording.
:(

Why? Are you embarassed?

Do you have any idea who might have? I mean I see T-Birds all over the place these days but right now you're the only one I can think of that has one here on HCBF.

• Members

Originally posted by Onkel Bob

Why? Are you embarassed?

Do you have any idea who might have? I mean I see T-Birds all over the place these days but right now you're the only one I can think of that has one here on HCBF.

Embarrassed? Nope. I'm comfortable in my level of suck. I've never gotten around to recording. :D

My favorite recorded T-bird tone is on 'Who's Next.' Some early Lynnyrd Skynnyrd was done on a T-bird, too, if I recall.

• Members

Youll never play as well as you can on an uncomfortable bass or guitar. That in itself makes the thunderbird a bad choice for you. If your liking the humbucker soapbar pup sound overall better then the Jazz type pups try some of the various Esp Ltd, Schecter, Specter, and other soapbar pup basses. It makes no sense to have a bass thats uncomfortable imo.

• Members

I'm not aware of any cons when it comes to a jazz bass. :p

I don't have any first hand experience with a T-bird, but I was at an outdoor festival a few weeks ago and the bass player was slingin' a T-bird through an SVT and using a pick. Definitely a gnarley tone! Right on for the 80s tunes they were doing.

• Members

I hope BOALG doesn't read this thread, he'd be ashamed of all of you!

Tone, looks, playability. In your words you have two out of three for the T-Bird and only one for the Jazz. Get the T-bird and reposition the front strap button. Have a balanced bass that has the tone you love, and that just freakin' owns any jazz in the cool/badass catagory. BTW I play an Explorer bass, and love it no matter how much of a different feel it has. You DO get used to playing different shaped basses, and one thing I wish more bass players did was at least try to spend some time with other style basses. You know you want to rawk the 'Bird so just DO IT!

Archived