replacement mim jazz pickups?

Narcosynthesis

• Members

ZedsDead is right, you would need two pickups that are the same size as the neck pickup.

But, unless you get humbuckers or they are reverse wound from each other, you will not get hum cancelling when both pickup volumes match.

On both of my MIM Jazz basses, both made before they upgraded the pickups, I just went ahead and made the bridge pickup route bigger to accomidate the correct size pickup. It was a pain, and since I didn't have a router I had to sand it by hand with a file, but in the end it worked.

• Members

Originally posted by SpaceGhost

Do you know what year your Jazz is? I have a 2001 which has two different sized pick up routes. IIRC: all MIM jazz basses post-2001 have two different sized pickups.

2001 going by the serial, but the two pickups are the same size, so it must have been just pre the change in routes

Won't neck/bridge pickups be wound differently, so getting two of one won't work as well as one of each?

There was one place that did pickups to fit the awkward routes, I can't remember where it was or how they sound though

Would Fender do replacements to fit? I did try emailing them but no reply...

David

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

I know there are some problems with newer mim J's (like mine) having two pickups of the same size (instead of two slightly different ones) and there was one place at least that did replacements to fit

problem being I can't remember who, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

David

You can use a file to widen the bridge position. It only takes a few minutes.

• Members

Originally posted by Fenfer Fan

Anyone have an idea why the heck Fenfer chose same-size pups for the MIM J's? It makes replacement annoying!
:mad:
Maybe that was exactly their intention? Or were they trying to save time/$ in the production line?
:confused:

Peace.

It's one less part to stock as they'd only need one size of bobbin.

Archived