Upon further review, I love my SX

dakhwon

• Members

Well, I've had my finished modded-Essex Pbass for a week now, played it for a while, and have come to the conclusion that I farking love the thing. I only replaced the pickguard, pickup (reverend), and all the wiring (stewmac). It sounds awesome! the maple neck has an awesome subtle flame in it.

I wanted a bass I wouldn't flip out if someone spilled a beer on it at a gig, but that still sounded the part and was a capable player. The SX fills that role and then some... I have seriously been bitten with the Pbass bug now... and short of a Lakland, I may stick with this bass for a good long time.

SO, add me to the Essex fanboy list. Honestly, the only thing I'd say you HAVE to do is replace the wiring... the stock pickup is fine, but the wiring and pots are cheap cheap crap... You'll see when you open one up and have a good set of pots and wires to compare... I honestly didn't see a great need to replace the hardware (the bridge is {censored}, but so is the standard fender bridge) Come to think of it, where does Fender get off putting that tin {censored} on it's $1100 MIA basses?

• Members

Originally posted by dakhwon

Come to think of it, where does Fender get off putting that tin {censored} on it's $1100 MIA basses?

Part of what makes a Fender sound like a Fender is warmth and resonance, none of which happen when you replace a minimalist bridge with a big hunk of metal. That being said, cool about the SX, pics are definitely needed though! :thu:

• Members

you will be bowled over assume'ified' by the richer tone that the heavier bridge will coax out of your bass. It's seriously night and day difference over the stock SX bridge.

It will make you want to have sex.

Maybe even with a partner.

• Members

hmmm... i wonder what it'll look like with all black hardware. btw what strings are on those? nylon wrapped labellas?

i've tried these really nice black (not nylon) flatwounds but i have no clue what brand they are... wondering if they were your strings as well.

• Members

Originally posted by tim_1002

hmmm... i wonder what it'll look like with all black hardware. btw what strings are on those? nylon wrapped labellas?

Yeah, they're the 1954 sound nylon wrapped roundwounds (the nylon wrapped flats are the Jamerson set). They sound smooth and buttery... and look pretty cool.

• Members

nice work so far. how does in play. check your inntonation !

this was a no-name ebay bass , correct ?

i recently purchased it for about $55 to me. a P bass for $50-60 is too good to pass up. i had to do quite a few tricks to get mine to stop buzzing fretts.

if yours is one of them, did you check the nuts string height at the low string first fret ?

• Members

i had to use a tooth pick in front of the nut to raise the string geometry. after 2 playing cards under the bolt-on neck, dremeling the frett edges, and a truss adjustment. i rewired it with 22 gauge sheilded wire. then used a scooping push pull / 250k tone pot for sonic possiblities (a passive scoop on a P is awesome slap sound). regrounded the pots. i shielded the pick guard and pup routing to decrase line static. also i used a Poly cap .047 on the volume knob. for the pick up i went with the SD sledgehammer. very hot, very scoopable split P bass pickup.

then to set up i use this method.

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/basssetup.php

all in all i spent $88 for guitar pickup, pot, caps. the one i got on ebay has a no laquer maple neck, nad no brand markings. now it is just as good as a top o the line.

Archived