Important: Not Safe For Work Related (PG-Rated Content)

Thunderbroom

• Members

I'd like to suggest that we put "NSFW" in the thread title for any thread whereby the content is deemed "not safe for work".

Oldivor's "meat" thread just likely got someone in trouble with their boss as it was opened when a female coworker walked by and she then reported it to her (and the forumite's) boss.

Thanks!

-Jeff

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fair enough... BUT.........

Is the person in trouble because Angelina Jolie was on the screen?

Or is the person in trouble because Angelina Jolie being on the screen made it obvious that they weren't doing what they are being paid to do? You know... work?

If I were paying someone to do a job for me, and I found out they were spending time I was paying them for doing something BESIDES what I was paying them to do, I wouldn't care if it was naked women or perfectly "on topic" discussions about basses and music.

I also know that there's no such thing as "checking the forum for just a minute." In fact, there is no such thing as a "minute" on the internet.

I'm sorry, but in all reasonable reality, if one is at work, they should be working, not chatting on the forum. If they don't like their job, they should get another one.

So... if the idea is "NSFW," then EVERY thread should start with that. Personally, I'm not gonna do it.

Peace.

Flame on.

• Members

Originally posted by psychepsilo

So... if the idea is "NSFW," then EVERY thread should start with that. Personally, I'm not gonna do it.

I'm pretty sure you understand what T-broom means. If anything, you'd be doing other forumites a favor by prefacing threads with that, that you know should be flagged before someone opens them at work, due to their content.

But feel free not to help.

• Members

I'll cop to it, I'm the one that just got called on the carpet. My boss knows I surf the web, I have an inordinate amount of downtime throughout the day; others in my department are playing Mah Jong tiles or Bejeweled right now.

The issue isn't that there was a picture of Angelina Jolie, it was that there were several pics of scantily-clad women. You all know that I don't give a {censored} about anything, but it was a chance walkthrough by somebody one notch higher than me in the company, and she happened to see it on my screen. I close that stuff right away when I open it, and I don't open the "Cheesesticks and Hot Chicks" threads at work, because I know that they have softcore pics in them, or at the very least I check my 6 before I click.

It would just be nice to know. I clicked on the thread because I thought it was the one about the famous person I'd like to MEET, not MEAT.:D

You can flame me for not working if you want...

C7

• Members

At my job, it is permissible for me to browse HC. I'm sure others work in similar environments. I think this is more about being respectful about other forum members instead of questioning their work situation.

As far as you not doing "it", that's cool but don't be pissed if I edit your thread title.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by beam

I'm pretty sure you understand what T-broom means. If anything, you'd be doing other forumites a favor by prefacing threads with that, that you
know
should be flagged before someone opens them at work, due to their content.

But feel free not to help.

My point is that NO thread is "safe for work."

When one is on the clock, getting paid to do a job, they should be doing that job.

If one HAS the kind of job that leaves time to kill, and that's KNOWN at the job, then conversely MOST threads are "safe for work."

And by the way... I'm wasting time RIGHT NOW that I should be using to do things that are much more important at the moment.

BUT... I'm not being paid either.

• Members

Originally posted by ThudMaker

Oldivor's OP didn't contain the problem, so how could he know to put an NSFW on the title?

He wouldn't. This thread originated by oldivor is the thread that was cited to me. I'm not blaming oldivor. I'm just using it as the example of a thread that probably should have "NSFW" in the future.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

You can flame me for not working if you want...

C7

You're not flamed, bud...

If you have that "downtime," and everyone at your job knows it, then Mahjong and thread your heart out.

If that's the case, then said thread was probably more of a problem because of WHO saw it than because it was seen.

Peace.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

As far as you not doing "it", that's cool but don't be pissed if I edit your thread title.

;)

That's your schtick, babe... ;)

If I post ANYTHING that is deemed needy of mod-editing, I'm not the one who's gonna get pissed.

Besides, I may PARTICIPATE in those threads, but it's extremely unlikely that I'll start them.

• Members

My point is that NO thread is "safe for work."

When one is on the clock, getting paid to do a job, they should be doing that job.

If one HAS the kind of job that leaves time to kill, and that's KNOWN at the job, then conversely MOST threads are "safe for work."

And by the way... I'm wasting time RIGHT NOW that I should be using to do things that are much more important at the moment.

BUT... I'm not being paid either.

party pooper...NSFW-PP:D

• Members

Fair enough... BUT.........

Is the person in trouble because Angelina Jolie was on the screen?

Or is the person in trouble because Angelina Jolie being on the screen made it obvious that they weren't doing what they are being paid to do? You know... work?

If I were paying someone to do a job for me, and I found out they were spending time I was paying them for doing something BESIDES what I was paying them to do, I wouldn't care if it was naked women or perfectly "on topic" discussions about basses and music.

I also know that there's no such thing as "checking the forum for just a minute." In fact, there is no such thing as a "minute" on the internet.

I'm sorry, but in all reasonable reality, if one is at work, they should be working, not chatting on the forum. If they don't like their job, they should get another one.

Peace.

Flame on.

That's quite the limited view of things.

At work, we're allowed to browse the web to a limited degree. Hell, for the workers with very restricted access on their PC's, we've even got open terminals specifically for them to browse the web.

All that really matters is that we're getting out work done. We get thrown into work on the weekends and after hours pretty regularly and many of us end up logging in at home while checking email and whatnot. A bit of web surfing now and then is not an issue.

A company that tells me I'm not allowed to browse the web now and then, even if I'm getting my work done, is a company not likely to have me accept their offer.

• Members
Originally posted by niomosy

That's quite the limited view of things.

No, actually it's an ignorant one.
;)

At work, we're
allowed
to browse the web to a limited degree. Hell, for the workers with very restricted access on their PC's, we've even got open terminals specifically for them to browse the web.

You see... I didn't know that.

Archived