Peavey Mark III - should I return my Fender Rumble now?

skier4467

• Members

2 weeks ago I bought a 2x10 Fender Rumble combo amp. i was pretty happy with it. Last night a friend GAVE me a Peavey Mark III head for free. I tested it and it works! Should I return the Fender and just buy a cab? Which cab would go well with the Peavey? Should I trust the Peavey to last even though it's old?

I was thinking maybe an Avatar cab a 2x10 or a 12...?

• Members

+1 the peavey If you can aford tokeep the fender go ahead if not return it as for a cab what kind of music do you play and what sound are you looking for. if you get a cab get a 8 OHM that way you can add another cab later if you want to other wise get a 4 OHM. I would go for a 212 0r a 410 as a first cab and add either 115 or another 212.

• Members

If you can, return that Fender amp and use the money to get a good 410 cab - that Mark III will probably outlast all of us... Personally, I really like Peavey's 410s - the TXFs and TVXs are really great sounding cabs - and the older TXs aren't bad, either... Get the best cab you can afford, then later on when you're ready to upgrade your head, you can still keep the same cab... I *could* be wrong, but I think that Mark III is 2 ohm capable - if that's the case, I'd buy a 4 ohm cab...

- georgestrings

• Members

I used to have a Mark III that I paid $100 for - used for a couple of years(trouble free), then got $100 back out of it when I upgraded to a Mark VI... I'm currently playing through a Mark VIII, that I like very much - although I'm kinda scouting around for another Mark III for a 2nd rig - that amp worked great for me, and sounded pretty good...

- georgestrings

• Members

I've had mine for over 25 years. It's been gigged, rolled around in car trunks, been dropped a few times, had beer spilled in it, etc.

It still sounds like brand new.

Tonewise, you need some effects in front of it.

The Line 6 BassPod XT works real well, but they aren't cheap.

Speaker efficiency and tone are real important with this amp.

I have played the amp through my Avatars and it rocks.

You will be amazed how much volume 300 Watts can produce with the right cabinets.

My original Peavey 2X15 Cab came with Black Widows.

They sounded good.

I replaced the Black Widows with Eminence Deltalite II 2515 Neos.

Three things happened:

1. The cab is very much louder.

2. The tone is much better. Deeper lows, more powerful mids, better highs. A much warmer sound.

3. The cabinet is much lighter and easier to carry.

Enjoy!:thu:

• Members

Is it the old 400 series Mark III? If so, keep in mind that they amp was built a quarter of a century ago. Peavey stuff is reliable overall, but all equipment deteriorates with age. That said, I just played through a 400 series Mark III head at a gig last Saturday. I got a decent tone from it.

It can be confusing when people refer to Peavey "Mark series" bass amps. Peavey has used the designation for bass amps and mixing boards at various times throughout the decades so in many cases people are talking apples and oranges. I have a Mark VIII XP, but mine was built in the early to mid 90's and is a far cry from the Mark III built 15 years earlier.

Archived