Question for tube amp owners

ryanstanley

• Members

you kidding?

our amps usually dont sound good till about a half hour after powerup.... :confused::freak:

EDIT: well, the JCM900 SL-X doesn't, anyway... the rest sounds alright i guess. i wonder if its a problem with the amp?? the guitarists usually play clean btw-- it would sound fine at high gain, pretty quickly. it's just real dirty and harsh on clean for a while, then it sounds great

• Members

As an owner of an Ampeg SVTII Pro head, i totally understand what it is to have a tube amp. I'll admit, u get a warmer sound when the tubes r allowed to heat up, but most of the time, you're not allowed that time to let your amp preheat for about 20 minutes. But you are able to play ias soon as the amp clicks over and that only takes a few seconds after you turn it on. If you give the amp at least a few minutes before you play, then everything will sound good. The first thing i always make sure I do as soon as I get on stage is plug in the amp so it gets an much time to warm up. Then when its time to play, everything is set.

• Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

does it not sound considerably better after about an hour though?

I know exactly what you are trying to say.

This phenomenon is usually observed in the studio: the first few tracks are laid down, then some more, and more, and we listen to the last songs we did, compared to the first, and we usually end up redoing the first ones.

Why?

The amps have warmed up, the (tube) preamps, the players, everything has just warmed up and gotten better.

So yes, many times, the tube amps will sound better after about an hour or so, when they've had time to really heat up.

But in terms of good practice, it only needs a few minutes to warm up on standby before you can play it.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Most tube amps have a standby switch, which leaves the power tubes connected but not the preamp. Turn on, wait a few minutes, and it'll sound pretty good usually.

The standby typically cuts the all high-voltage to all tubes (because it's an easier circuit) and it always cuts it to the power tubes.

• Members

Originally posted by badmotor

If the Marshall takes half an hour to warm up properly, it might be time for a re-tube. Only get it serviced by a professional. As tubes get old and worn out, they take longer and longer to warm up.

They also may need to be rebiased.

Archived