What kind of new starting system should I put in my car?

Ace Of Bass

• Members

As I mentioned, I'm currently running my car by hotwiring it every time I drive somewhere. This isn't exactly cool for picking up chicks.

I could probably replace the ignition switch but it might be well over 100-200 dollars.

I could also just install two switches on the dashboard to start it--and while it's cool as hell, it also just makes my car scream "Steal ME!"

I could hide the switches in the glovebox, and lock the glovebox...but then I'd have to make my date press the switches or lean over every time.

No, by far, I think to most superior idea is to make a radio controlled remote for my car. I'll have the only car that I can start from across the parking lot, but still need to use a key to open the door. Of course, this is by far the most difficult to do, though I don't think it would be too difficult--though I'm still not sure how safe it is. I mean, I don't want my car to start when the neighbors open their garage, and nor do I want it to stop in the highway when someone uses a walkie-talkie.

So....what should I do?

• Members

This isn't exactly cool for picking up chicks.

Because the first thing I girl looks for in a guy, is that his car starts in a studly manner.

:D

Seriously. Your choices are really as follows:

1) Just get it fixed normally and use a key.

2) Get a pad installed with a code to start.

3) Remote starter

4) Find a girl with a car and just drive hers.

• Members

the problem with auto starters is they are built to turn off if the key is not in the ignition, they have processors to tell them if the car is being driven and etc... its not as easy as just puting one in and driving away... with the keyless starters, you need to have the vehicle in park, the engine idle wont go over 2500 RPM, and will only run for a preset amount of time... if any of those criteria arent met, it shuts the car off. Now you could bypass these settings if you knew what you were doing, but face it. Starter systems for for like $60-$200+ and you can buy an ignition switch that was made for your car for a fraction of that... or even go to a junk yard and get it for a few bucks with the new keys and locks for your car if you want everything to match.

• Members

I love all the ideas so far.

I've come up with a few more as well...

But keeping in mind that this IS my only source of transport, I think I maybe do want something a bit more in the practical rather than comedic value range.

Although I'm still not sold on traditional keys....

actually, making my own little key by mounting a tiny pushbutton switch on one of these things is looking pretty good right now....plus, I could hang it on my keyring....

pRS1C-2266453w345.jpg

And then I just have to mount this to my dashboard.

Total cost would be around $5.

pRS1C-2266452w345.jpg

Archived