Band Trailers

Thunderbroom

• Members

Do you any of you have trailers that you use to store/haul your band's gear to/from gigs? I know that ezstep does because I saw it last year when I visited him.

I found one locally for ~$1200. It's an 8 x 10 unit. With the pending purchase of an upright, I will not be able to haul all of our PA gear in my van. I'm the only person (out of 7 people) that has a large vehicle except the drummer (and well...he has drums to haul).

I thinking of asking the band to purchase the trailer, or even split the cost with me.

The only thing holding me back right now is not knowing the zoning laws in my town. My wife is on the zoning commission, so I just sent her an email to find out what the rules are. I'm not sure if I can leave the trailer in my driveway, on the side of my yard or on the street. If I can't this is a deal breaker because I'm not renting a storage space.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

That's a really good price on a trailer.

You'll need to have the logo painted on the side.

Don't paint a band logo on the side. You don't want everyone knowing that there is a trailer full of thousands of dollars of music gear sitting outside your house.

• Members

Originally posted by SA Rios

Don't paint a band logo on the side. You don't want everyone knowing that there is a trailer full of thousands of dollars of music gear sitting outside your house.

Meh, I've been to his 'hood, I really don't think he has much to worry about.

• Members

Originally posted by fretless

yeah paint " Free manure hauling " Give us your {censored} !

"The Big Spunky Gay Sexwagon!"

"National Venereal Disease Research Center"

"Animal Control - Roadkill Containment Division"

"Official Mobile Lug Listening Booth"

"The Jonathan_Matos Parody Thread Thinktank"

"Halitzer"

Any or all of these should keep people away from your prized bandgear.

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

"Halitzer"

That's some funny, funny stuff right there.

:D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

"Halitzer"

Good ones ! :p:D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I think my POS Chevy S-10 would handle the job. I could also add a hitch to the minivan.

I'm NOT going to buy a larger vehicle. I don't have any car payments and don't want any.

:)

Oh yeah, I forgot about your POS truck.

Dude, you should get the trailer and have a krylon party to paint them to match.

Nothing says "Pro Country Working Band" like matching {censored}ty paint jobs on the truck and trailer.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

Nothing says "Pro Country Working Band" like matching {censored}ty paint jobs on the truck and trailer.

:D

I just ran the idea by the band's "leader" to see what he thinks. He'll support whatever I want to do anyway. He's like that.

The deciding factor will likely be the zoning crap though.

• Members

The rhythm guitarist (founded the band which makes him the defacto leader)

The reality is we are more of a democracy.

The guy who you can barely hear and who's name I cannot remember?

Dang, I figured it would be the drummer since he is making time with the singer.

• CMS Author

Do you any of you have trailers that you use to store/haul your band's gear to/from gigs? I know that ezstep does because I saw it last year when I visited him.

I found one locally for ~$1200. It's an 8 x 10 unit. With the pending purchase of an upright, I will not be able to haul all of our PA gear in my van. I'm the only person (out of 7 people) that has a large vehicle except the drummer (and well...he has drums to haul).

I thinking of asking the band to purchase the trailer, or even split the cost with me.

The only thing holding me back right now is not knowing the zoning laws in my town. My wife is on the zoning commission, so I just sent her an email to find out what the rules are. I'm not sure if I can leave the trailer in my driveway, on the side of my yard or on the street. If I can't this is a deal breaker because I'm not renting a storage space.

If Search was working, I'd suggest you use it in the Live Sound forum, since there have been a lot of good threads on this topic. But I can summarize what I remember about the general consensus:

1. Trailers are definitely the way to go, over vans and dedicated trucks. Costs of ownership and use are much lower.

2. Downside is maneuverability. If you gig in city areas or anyplace where parking iffy, you'll quickly tire of driving endlessly around the venue looking for two consecutive parallel spots. If this is an issue be sure the trailer has a side door incase you come out at 2am to discover another vehicle parked too close to the trailer to drop the gate or open the doors.

3. Two axles are safer and ride better than one. Buying used, include the cost of having the wheel bearings *replaced* (not just "serviced" as soon as you get the trailer. Check the tires. Make sure they are all trailer tires, not just regular car or light-truck tires.

4. Figure out ahead of time what braking system you'll be using, and be sure the tow vehicle can accept a brake controller without costing a fortune in installation and wiring.

5. If you're tall, get a tall trailer. Stuffing your gear into a hot trailer while bent over sucks in a big way.

6. NEVER paint band logos or any giveaway info on the trailer, no matter where you live. Get insured properly....homeowners policies do not cover gear used professionally, and it's really hard to claim hobby use when you've invested in dedicated transport.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

If Search was working, I'd suggest you use it in the Live Sound forum, since there have been a lot of good threads on this topic. But I can summarize what I remember about the general consensus:

1. Trailers are definitely the way to go, over vans and dedicated trucks. Costs of ownership and use are much lower.

2. Downside is maneuverability. If you gig in city areas or anyplace where parking iffy, you'll quickly tire of driving endlessly around the venue looking for two consecutive parallel spots. If this is an issue be sure the trailer has a side door incase you come out at 2am to discover another vehicle parked too close to the trailer to drop the gate or open the doors.

3. Two axles are safer and ride better than one. Buying used, include the cost of having the wheel bearings *replaced* (not just "serviced" as soon as you get the trailer. Check the tires. Make sure they are all trailer tires, not just regular car or light-truck tires.

4. Figure out ahead of time what braking system you'll be using, and be sure the tow vehicle can accept a brake controller without costing a fortune in installation and wiring.

5. If you're tall, get a tall trailer. Stuffing your gear into a hot trailer while bent over sucks in a big way.

6. NEVER paint band logos or any giveaway info on the trailer, no matter where you live. Get insured properly....homeowners policies do not cover gear used professionally, and it's really hard to claim hobby use when you've invested in dedicated transport.

My old band toured the midwest with a trailerfull of gear, it is a fantastic way to move gear. All of the above advice is dead on, although for that size trailer at that price I'd be willing to put new tires on it and replace the bearings. That'll be a fairly big trailer for an S-10 IMHO but should be fine if you don't absolutely pack it with gear.

I tow a lot with the Jeep, you'd be surprised at how quickly you get good at it.:thu:

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Rusty the Scoob

That'll be a fairly big trailer for an S-10 IMHO but should be fine if you don't absolutely pack it with gear.

Yup. We need more info on both the trailer and the S10. If the trailer's got 2 axles, gross weight could be as high as 7000lb. The S10 could have towing capacity anywhere between 2000 and 5500lb, with manual tranny models having the low end ratings, and the higher end being 2wd auto tranny models with correct gearing and tow package equipment.

A good rule of thumb is to never tow anything that weighs more than the tow vehicle. The S10 weighs about 3000lb. This should be okay, as an average band's gear probably weighs quite a bit less than this.

Archived