Bi-amping

Super_Donut_Man

• Moderators

It allows you to send separate signals to your speaker cabs. So in otherwords, you could send 150 Hz and lower to your 1X18 and all frequencies above to your 4X10. It is the same philosophy as a live sound rig using a crossover to get the subwoofers their lows and the tops the rest of the freq's.

• Members

Running your signal into two different amplifiers to get two different sounds.

I think that to be considered biamping you technically have to split the frequencies in the signal with a crossover before sending them to the amps... but that seems to be a little picky to me.

Bob Nyswonger's setup is a good example of this sort of thing. His signel goes into two very different amps and comes out sounding very decent overall. Technically he isn't biamping though... according to some folks here at least.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulyWally

Sending higher frequencies to one cab. And the lower frequencies to another.

Just like a crossover... only little-to-no control over the crossover frequency.

Not necessarily. An amp that is set up for bi-amping includes an integrated crossover. How flexible that crossover is depends on the make / model.

• Moderators
Originally posted by chunkathalon

. . . .

I think that to be considered biamping you technically have to split the frequencies in the signal with a crossover before sending them to the amps... but that seems to be a little picky to me.

. . . .

But that's the kind of bi-amping that the OP is asking about.;)

• Members

Originally posted by bholder

Not necessarily. An amp that is set up for bi-amping includes an integrated crossover. How flexible that crossover is depends on the make / model.

Right.

My point was, some amps have adjustments for bi-amping... some don't. But I have yet to see one that has as much versatility in the adjustments as a dedicated crossover unit.

So... comparatively speaking... little-to-no control over the crossover frequency. :p:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Super_Donut_Man

so I should just skip it and leave it up to the crossover on my cab? because all I gots is an 8x10.

Yeah it's only if you are running two different cabs. So for me (800RB) I am running in full mode with just a 2x12. If I wanted to BIamp I would run a 2x10 for the highs. So the lows would go to the 2x12 and the highs would go to the 2x10. You will just run it full or mono mode.

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by Super_Donut_Man

so I should just skip it and leave it up to the crossover on my cab? because all I gots is an 8x10.

Yeah. But not necessarily because you have a crossover in your cab.

When you bi-amp, it's ideal to use separate cabs. You could do it with a single cab... but there would be some re-wiring and modding involved. In the end... you wouldn't really be gaining much of a different sound modding an 8x10 for bi-amping.

An ideal example scenario would be:

bi-amping the high frequencies to a 2x10 and

bi-amping the low frequencies to a 1x18 (or something)

What you gain (basically), is much more articulate and clear high frequencies through the 2x10.

• Members

I thought the GK heads were only designed to bi-amp the horn separately to the woofers in the GK cabinets.

the horn amp is only 50w

From the GK site...

"The Horn Management System:

Many players want a little growl in their sound, but due to horn distortion, it is hard to get good sounding overdrive from passive full-range systems. The 700RB, 1001RB, 2001RB are bi-amped with a separate 50W amp for driving the horn, so it doesn't distort when you drive the amp hard. As a result, you can get all the growl you want from your lower speakers, while the horn stays clean and articulate. GK amps also put the horn control on the amp front panel, which makes managing your overall sound that much easier.

Our new Bi-amp feature for the 700RB, 1001RB and 2001RB heads is slightly different than the 800RB. These heads utilize a main woofer amp along with a 50W high frequency amp, which is designed to drive horns only in a bi-amp capable cabinet. A bi-amp cabinet has a special bi-amp input to amplify the horn and the woofers separately which also gives you better separation and clarity between the low and high frequency drivers within a single cabinet. You get more peak power from the woofers since the main amp is not being shared with the horn as it is in passive full-range systems.

"

Although It might be able to drive a top cab it looks as if it's designed to just drive the horn - and the only cabs I know of that allow you to do that (short of PA cabs) are those make by GK.

• Members

I actually owned (for a week) an SVT4 - I thought I'd use the biamping feature and eliminate carrying two amps. It sounded like total ass - my 15"s want some highs (even though they don't articulate them too well) and without it was mud...+ the mid range speakers had no beef whatsoever. I think a crossover is great for playing program music through - it's going to give you full frequency range with no overlap...but in the case of a bass some overlap is a good thing.

Just my two cents.

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

I actually owned (for a week) an SVT4 - I thought I'd use the biamping feature and eliminate carrying two amps. It sounded like total ass - my 15"s want some highs (even though they don't articulate them too well) and without it was mud...+ the mid range speakers had no beef whatsoever. I think a crossover is great for playing program music through - it's going to give you full frequency range with no overlap...but in the case of a bass some overlap is a good thing.

Just my two cents.

Thanks. I still want to try it myself though...

Archived