What about this Ibanez??

RollE

• Members

Originally posted by been_effected

I'd take an Iby over a Yamaha anyday

Just remember: Yamaha make motorbikes, not basses
:p

Not to throw a voice of dissent in, but I feel exactly the opposite about Yamaha's. And so do Nathan East, John Pattitucci(sp?), John Myung, and Billy Sheehan, none of whom ride motorbikes as far as I know. :):p

I think Yamaha makes a better bass, dollar for dollar, than Ibanez. The expensive Ibby's are great basses. The less expensive ones sound good by themselves, but with a band they get lost, IME. They seem to have a blandness to them (maybe I just don't like mahogany for basses), though its not as bad since they starting using the Bartolini p/u's. If you can try the Ibanez with a band and if you still prefer it, then go for it.

• Members

In their hayday the SR series wasn't an option to me, never played one that didn't feel 'stiff' if that makes any sense, just always felt like I was working too hard when I tried them out. if it floats your boat, though....

Yamaha makes many things, all of which are made well.

• Members

Originally posted by AnalogKid

Not to throw a voice of dissent in, but I feel exactly the opposite about Yamaha's. And so do Nathan East, John Pattitucci(sp?), John Myung, and Billy Sheehan, none of whom ride motorbikes as far as I know.
:):p

I think Yamaha makes a better bass, dollar for dollar, than Ibanez. The expensive Ibby's are great basses. The less expensive ones sound good by themselves, but with a band they get lost, IME. They seem to have a blandness to them (maybe I just don't like mahogany for basses), though its not as bad since they starting using the Bartolini p/u's. If you can try the Ibanez with a band and if you still prefer it, then go for it.

quoting good bass players doesn't mean Yamaha make good basses! :p they probably make it sound better than it really is anyway!

nah kidding. Its just like anything else really, some people love them, some people hate them. Its your own individual taste. Yamaha are my pet hate. Give me an Iby BTB any day :love:

I'd go with the 505 mate, particularly with barts in it. Should be fairly versatile

• Members

nah kidding. Its just like anything else really, some people love them, some people hate them. Its your own individual taste. Yamaha are my pet hate. Give me an Iby BTB any day
:love:

I'm kinda with you on this one. I'd never even try a bass I didn't like the look of, and I've never seen a Yamaha I liked. Also, I don't give a damn who plays what. Namedropping means nothing to me.

• Members

Thanks for all the replys. The main thing about my Yamaha is that the pickups hums when i have them soloed. Together they are quiet but if i just turn the blend nob a half millimeter the bass hums. Not acceptebel for me considering that neck pickup are "my" sound

• Members

I'd take an Iby over a Yamaha anyday

Just remember: Yamaha make motorbikes, not basses
:p

The new Yamaha TRB1000 Series basses are an exceptional value IMO. I want a TRB1005. I also had a BB1500A that was a very solid bass.

I'm sure there are some nice Ibanez basses too...

Archived