Rig concept, whaddya think?

mlwarriner

• Members

There's a guy here in KC running a bass-only shop, specializing in "harder to find" gear. Not necessarily boutique, but nicer, more obscure stuff overall. I've been talking with him about doing a shakeup on my bass rig, and he seems pretty interested in making some deals.

The one thing he's got on hand that's really got me drooling is a Berg NV610. He's expressed interest in dealing it locally, as to avoid the shipping hassles, and has said more than once that he'd make "a righteous deal" on it if I was interested.

The only problem is that I have like zero cash, and the prospect of getting any doesn't look good. However, he's also expressed sincere interest in my GBE1200. Only problem is that would leave me headless, basically. I've got an old Peavey, but it's had problems in the past with just quitting for no apparent reason. He's also got an Ampeg SVT3-Pro on hand, and a GK 400RB.

So I guess after all of that, my question is this. Would the Ampeg/Berg rig be enough? I play hard rock and/or metal with a couple of reasonably loud bands. Occasionally, I find myself playing somewhere without PA support for the bass, and so volume becomes a serious issue. Will 450 Ampeg Hybrid watts through the NV610 be loud enough?

Also, for the ones with SVTXX-Pro experience, how's the tone? I used to run an Ampeg B4R, and didn't mind the tone too much, but I wasn't overly smitten with it. Are the SVT series heads better sounding?

Please and thanks, and sorry for the long-windedness of this post. You may now resume your normal lives.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

Man...you're going to downgrade from a GB to an Ampeg.

:D

Yo.

Bad move, IMO - as for the cab switch, what's getting it done for you currently??? From what I've heard, that NV610 is a great cab - but depending on what's getting the job done for you currently, it *might* not be the best stand alone fit for you... I'd bet the farm you'll regret swapping that GBE1200 for an Ampeg, to be honest...

If it were me, I'd play that GBE1200 through that NV610 and see if I really liked it - and if I did, do something else to swing that deal...

- georgestrings

• Members

Originally posted by georgestrings

Bad move, IMO - as for the cab switch, what's getting it done for you currently??? From what I've heard, that NV610 is a great cab - but depending on what's getting the job done for you currently, it *might* not be the best stand alone fit for you... I'd bet the farm you'll regret swapping that GBE1200 for an Ampeg, to be honest...

If it were me, I'd play that GBE1200 through that NV610 and see if I really liked it - and if I did, do something else to swing that deal...

- georgestrings

compared the NV610 to a GK 4x10, 1x15 stack. left with the GK cabs.

YMMV

• Members

Originally posted by mlwarriner

There's a guy here in KC running a bass-only shop, specializing in "harder to find" gear. Not necessarily boutique, but nicer, more obscure stuff overall. I've been talking with him about doing a shakeup on my bass rig, and he seems pretty interested in making some deals.

The one thing he's got on hand that's really got me drooling is a Berg NV610. He's expressed interest in dealing it locally, as to avoid the shipping hassles, and has said more than once that he'd make "a righteous deal" on it if I was interested.

The only problem is that I have like zero cash, and the prospect of getting any doesn't look good. However, he's also expressed sincere interest in my GBE1200. Only problem is that would leave me headless, basically. I've got an old Peavey, but it's had problems in the past with just quitting for no apparent reason. He's also got an Ampeg SVT3-Pro on hand, and a GK 400RB.

So I guess after all of that, my question is this. Would the Ampeg/Berg rig be enough? I play hard rock and/or metal with a couple of reasonably loud bands. Occasionally, I find myself playing somewhere without PA support for the bass, and so volume becomes a serious issue. Will 450 Ampeg Hybrid watts through the NV610 be loud enough?

Also, for the ones with SVTXX-Pro experience, how's the tone? I used to run an Ampeg B4R, and didn't mind the tone too much, but I wasn't overly smitten with it. Are the SVT series heads better sounding?

Please and thanks, and sorry for the long-windedness of this post. You may now resume your normal lives.

The SVT will work, but you'll have better head room with the GB. I think the Berg cab better be a truly righteous deal because it won't be much fun on your first upstairs gig. If he really wants your head, you might trade him for the SVT and a 4x10 or 2x12. A 3Pro and a 4x10 will be loud enough for any gig this side of a stadium; if it isn't, you have other problems.

Archived