OT: Anyone know anything about home surveilance cameras?

Phantasm

• Members

Usually there's someone here that knows something about everything, so here's what I'm looking for...

I've been thinking about putting up some outdoor surveilance cameras to monitor my front/back yard and side driveway. A DVR to record them would be nice and if they were motion activated that would be cool. It would also be nice if they could record stuff at night.

Obviously I don't know a whole lot about this. There's a kit at Sams that has all the items to do this sort of thing, but I figured if someone else knew about something better I'd take their experience/knowledge under consideration....

• Members

I have no experience with the equipment, but some with the results.

Don't expect to get "evidence" (other than the most vague) useable in court. I can't count the number of people who've brought me a still from a security camera, shot at night, zoomed all the way out, etc. and expected it to look like something off of CSI.

The fact is, any normal video camera only takes an image 640 x 480 pixels. Viewed as a whole, they look okay, but there just isn't any detail to speak of when "zooming in" to the image. It isn't there because the camera couldn't handle the detail.

The upshot is, you can't read a license plate that is made up of 6 pixels. Same for a face. If it's a crap camera shooting in the dark, it's even less likely.

Some in-store security setups are good enough to get recognizeable features, but you won't get that from essentially a webcam.

• Members

we just installed this at work

http://sentinelcctvstore.lorextechnology.com/product.aspx?id=1244

works really well , can also be viewed via internet , so far perfect performance . We cought the neighbor using water , everyday , :mad:

and filmed a robbery in progress across the street . Burned a CD and gave it to the Police . They tried to rob a Gun shop and were greeted by bullets in less than 5 sec. 1 guy dead the other off to jail .:thu:

• Members

Preface: I know a little about this stuff.

I've used some of the Panasonic DVR security solutions. Depending on the model you get, you can hook up about six cameras, set automatic record times, motion sensing record times, view over the web, automatically erase after x-number of days, etc...

The nice thing is that you can add any camera to the recorder via a BNC connection. Depending on the model, you may be able to control zoom in and out. You can decide whether you want an all weather camera, something with infa-red, or an indoor camera.

This is a Panasonic that I've used. The only big issue has been settings getting erased when the power goes out, so I would recommend getting a UPS with whatever security system you buy.

• Members

I did this {censored} for my job about 5-6 years ago. Tech may well have marched on since then, so bear that in mind...

First issue - do you want it as a deterrent, or do you want it as something that will actually catch bad guys? You have a choice between covert and overt here, in other words (think of it as the difference between an Ampeg stack and a little EA rig - both might do the same ultimate job, but one makes a bigger visual statement)

If you want to catch peeps at night, you'll have to use B&W cameras, and you'll need IR floodlights to cover the area being monitored. The problem there is that the IR bulbs are pretty frail, and will need pretty frequent replacement (as in every couple of months or so). You can also get cameras with their own built-in IR LEDs, but those tend to have a pretty short range, low resolution and a low depth-of-field, so likely would not be admissable in court, if that's what you're after. I don't know what the laws are in the US WRT data protection, and police recommendations as far as things like required resolution go - it might vary between forces, states - I just don't know.

The cameras are the main bone of contention AFAIK (again, 5 - 6 years since I did this)

Most DVRs will probably have motion detection, plus nifty features such as remote monitoring (ie if you have broadband connection, you can monitor your back yard from the other side of the world)

Archived