highway one jazz bass-worth it?

lumpy555

• Members

still lookin to purchase a fender bass. played the mim jazz, very nice! kinda yellowish in color, how does it compare to the highway-1 jazz bass-made in usa? dollar for dollar, which would you bass freaks go for! i say bass freaks with a lot of love !!!!! lumpy-ohio

• Members

I've played one of the newer Highway 1 jazz basses with the badass II bridge and it played fantastic. I preferred the nitro finish on them. I mean hell, they're essentially the same bass as the other USA ones for much less, just a different finish. Play one and if you like it, buy it.

Edit-

Whoa there, it's a satin lacquer finish NOT nitro!

Fender

• Members

I can't remember who said it first, but...

MIM Fenders are built by Mexicans in Mexico.

MIA Fenders are built by Mexicans in the US.

The Highway 1 basses are nice enough, but I'm not sure they're that much nicer than MIM Fenders. If you're looking to step up, go MIA.

• Members

Yep, as said, not much diff detween MIM and H1 on playability and QC.

MIM's are more durable due to the finish.

H1's would probably have better resale.

Can you get the CIJ Fenders in the U.S? If so, that's the way to go!!

Maybe try a Marcus Miller.

• Members

If it was me I'd get this one:

0326702521_xl.jpg

But I must admit that I've gotten to the point where I find Fenders just a bit boring, and thus if I wanted one I'd want it to be good, but cheap. I've heard good things about that one so I'd start by checking that out.

• Members

I seem to recall the older H1s had a nitro finish, too.

Japanese made is probably the best bang for the buck for Fender. The Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, and Jaguar are all CIJ, IIRC. Sometimes you can find a less common one here or there. Japanese Squiers from the 80s kick a whole lot of ass too. The one that Onkel Bob posted is a current model, but they look great and seem to get good reviews. I'd like to try one.

If you go used, you could probably find a standard American-made Jazz for about the price of a new H1. A more solid bass all-around, to me. If Ghost is right and they come with Badass IIs standard now, though, then maybe having a little finish wear isn't so bad.

• Members

Originally posted by Onkel Bob

If it was me I'd get this one:

0326702521_xl.jpg
But I must admit that I've gotten to the point where I find Fenders just a bit boring, and thus if I wanted one I'd want it to be good, but cheap. I've heard good things about that one so I'd start by checking that out.

I'm a little interested in one of those, too... I really dig Jazz necks, but love P tones - still, it couldn't hurt me to have a Jazz kicking around, and those look pretty nice - especially for the money...

- georgestrings

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

I can't remember who said it first, but...

MIM Fenders are built by Mexicans in Mexico.

MIA Fenders are built by Mexicans in the US.

The Highway 1 basses are nice enough, but I'm not sure they're that much nicer than MIM Fenders. If you're looking to step up, go MIA.

That's how I see it...

- georgestrings

Archived