The truss rod on this Bass is broken and the neck is slightly warped.

Rowka

• Members

I'd think Carvin could offer some technical support on repairing the truss rod.

It would be fun if you could get it for cheap and build some luthiering skills, but $200 is a bit too much.

Don't count on that, Carvin doesn't do truss rod repairs. At all. The ONLY thing they will do is a total bass rebuild using the preexisting hardware. Trust me. When my Carvins' rod nut snapped I didn't find one quote from any techs/builders for less than $800. If I had a bolt on at least the option of replacing the whole neck would be there, but a neck through is all but a throw away, because IF you can get an acceptable repair, and that will take a VERY good and experienced tech, then the bass is trash. I'd avoid that one like the plague.

• Members

I had a Carvin LB-76. The rod nut snapped on mine as well. I stripped it of the hardware and tossed it. Neck through with serious truss problems is damn near impossible to fix. Finding a skilled luthier who can remove the fretboard, re truss it, and get the fretboard back on without warping it in the process is not an easy task.

• Members

How easily is a truss rod on a bolt on replaced?

My 90 Fender Prodigy allen nut to adjust the rod is now on the verge of being stripped, and tough to turn at times.

StewMac has a new kit for repairing stripped truss rods, looks like it would work. Won't help that broken one for squat, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If thats the same bass Im thinking of I almost bid on that thing. It looked like a sweet bass. I called Carvin about a busted truss rod on an AC40 and they quoted me $350 to $400 to rebuild it. I feel your pain. If it wasnt a dual action truss rod you could possibly use the truss rod rescue kit but according to a tech I just spoke to at Carvin it wont work on your truss rod.

Archived