John Patitucci

Jim-Bass

• Members

I've been seeing the name and his face for so long, but never heard him. Recently I got a DVD which has him on it (just an extra bit), and I gotta say that while he can play ok, if I was in the audience I'd shout out "hey, play some Bass - The Bass, Johnny!" Do you know what I mean? He's got 6 or 8 strings or something, and he's just spending all the time on the highest notes on the highest strings....interested to hear what others might think.

• Members

I've been seeing the name and his face for so long, but never heard him. Recently I got a DVD which has him on it (just an extra bit), and I gotta say that while he can play ok, if I was in the audience I'd shout out "hey, play some Bass - The Bass, Johnny!" Do you know what I mean? He's got 6 or 8 strings or something, and he's just spending all the time on the highest notes on the highest strings....interested to hear what others might think.

He is one of the most melodic bassists out there, but he can be a tad too technical. He's also a great writer. Listen to some of his solo CD's!

He Pwns on upright bass too!

• Members

He has a very melodic approach, true.

But why not?

Does one who plays bass only have to play low notes all the time?

There are no rules :)

• Members

I have admit that it was only a 10 minute clip, so I can only comment from what I saw. I have nothing agianst soloing up in the higher register, but I really like to see the bassist utilise the whole range, from the lowest to the highest. And I think it can be difficult to solo in the lower notes (muddier sound, not so melodic etc), so I guess when I don't hear that, I do miss it.

• Members

There are no rules
:)

....I went to a summer jazz camp when I was younger, there was a well known European Bassist giving the bass classes. One day we had turns at soloing - when it came to me, I would play little lines down low, and then echo them up high, with a little variation here or there. He said' that's good, but you should gradually make your way up to the high notes - don't play low and then suddenly go right up the neck'. I immediately lost interest in him, becasue I thought 'why? there are no rules!':thu:

• Members

He's only one of the best doublers in the business! He's got a wide range of works and an as equal wide range of gigs! When you tour with a Chick Corea for 10 years you can't help but play a little technical! And anyone who can mirror lightning fast arpeggios with Chick Corea is a damn good bassist in my book!

• Members

On another note, Frank Gambale has got to be one of the coolest, Aussie, virtuoso SOB I've ever seen play guitar! Dude could look you right in the eye and pay a lightning fast sweep of the entire fretboard without even blinking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

*waits for bassius*

I haven't heard enough of his work to develop an opinion.

John is a friend...

he can play anything anyone could ever ask of him...really...i know first hand.

perhaps you only heard him play solos...? What DVD did you view...i'm not too sure what examples you heard to form your first opinion...

• Members

..it was an extra on the DVD version of Jaco's Bass video...I'l admit, I do lie what he plays, and I haven't heard enough...don't get me wrong, he's good - very good

LOL well that explains it....

it was a bass solo...Giant Steps...taking the role of a (basically) saxaphone...

check out is ensemble playing, he's the freakin man....

(that solo was awesome btw and i have transcribed/can play it)

:D

Archived