what's a brotha got to do.......

B-Bottom

• Members

to get a damn band started? Same old story....I've been talking with this singer for a few days about him coming out last night and cheking out myself and this drummer that I've been jamming with about maybe starting a band. all week long everything is a go. thursday was even better for him to come out so I changed the original day i wanted to get together from Wednesday to Thusday. He knows a guitar player who was going to come along as well. I rig my combo amp up for this guy to sing through (he didn't have anything of his own....don't get me started) call him up to confirm everything the night before and we're all good to go.

An hour and a half before he is supposed to be there I get the call. "hey man, that guitar player can't make it. And he was my ride so I don't know if I can make it either. I have to wait to see when my girlfriend gets off of work so maybe I can borrow the car. Unless one of you guys wanted to come and pick me up?" I tell him that I am not picking him up and to call me back when he knows for sure if he can make it. Well I get a call a little later and what do you know.....of course he can't.

I've come to the conclusion last night that I am never going to activley pursue looking for a singer again. If someone comes along that is good and not a total flake then I may consider it. Until then I'm going to {censored}ing sing and play bass. The less people in the band the better.

• Members

+1 Sing and play.

{censored}, dude...can you play guitar? Write and record your own album and then inlist side players. Or if it's covers, put a set list together, go out and get gigs(acoustic solo if you have to)...then hire people to back you up. Do what makes you happy. I spent a lot of years with flakey guitarists and drummers thinking...I'm never gonna get anywhere...wahhh wahhh...why do I always have to depend on flakey people? Well, you don't! Play the music that makes you happy and drive it and serious musicians will find you.

• Members

Dude, you know I'm in the same boat as you.

I haven't bothered trying again. I'm gonna place an ad at some point, but right now I'm just {censored}ing tired of the hassle.

I've been trying off and on for I bet the last 6 years to get the kind of band that I want together. And it's always nothing but problems. It's truly amazing that I am even still trying to do it. I'm a glutton for punishment perhaps....who knows.

I was contacted by a band from down the street about paying bass for them. They are doing a lot of covers right now though and I'm just not into playing led Zeppelin at this point. I'm really tired of just settling

• Members

Have you tried bad-mouthing every other musician in the area, attacking them on internet forums, maybe even in local papers?

Have you oiled up and had photos taken in a banana hammock?

If not, I just don't think you're "world class", and there's your problem!

:D

For the record, a friend and I did the "record your own album" thing. It's prog, but we like it! Should be finished before summer (mastering, packaging and all!). It's a LOT of work, but it's been worth it, imho!:thu:

• Members

Have you tried bad-mouthing every other musician in the area, attacking them on internet forums, maybe even in local papers?

Have you oiled up and had photos taken in a banana hammock?

If not, I just don't think you're "world class", and there's your problem!

:D

{censored} that's what I've been doing wrong!!!! I've had the master of band realtions at my disposal all this time and I've totally ignored him. Now who's being false metal :(

basherdy9.jpg

• Members

to get a damn band started? Same old story....I've been talking with this singer for a few days about him coming out last night and cheking out myself and this drummer that I've been jamming with about maybe starting a band. all week long everything is a go. thursday was even better for him to come out so I changed the original day i wanted to get together from Wednesday to Thusday. He knows a guitar player who was going to come along as well. I rig my combo amp up for this guy to sing through (he didn't have anything of his own....don't get me started) call him up to confirm everything the night before and we're all good to go.

An hour and a half before he is supposed to be there I get the call. "hey man, that guitar player can't make it. And he was my ride so I don't know if I can make it either. I have to wait to see when my girlfriend gets off of work so maybe I can borrow the car. Unless one of you guys wanted to come and pick me up?" I tell him that I am not picking him up and to call me back when he knows for sure if he can make it. Well I get a call a little later and what do you know.....of course he can't.

I've come to the conclusion last night that I am never going to activley pursue looking for a singer again. If someone comes along that is good and not a total flake then I may consider it. Until then I'm going to {censored}ing sing and play bass. The less people in the band the better.

I hear ya!!!

I had to take a blues gig with Mojo Perry to try to get something going. My bands always seem to flame out, which is probably due to me just finding flakes.

I'm taking the first couple of steps to start something else now too, something more roots rock, like Neil Young and Crazy Horse, but I'm trying to keep that down to a three piece for less flakes to deal with.

Outside of that I'm leaving in the summer to a more musci rich locations so I can find a new bunch of flakes.

• Members

Whenever I'm in between bands, it usually takes about a year to get something going. It's a drag, but I use the time to write and do a pickup gig here or there, and then sometimes the pickup gig will lead to something.

When I'm looking I usually look for bands that need a bassist. I find that starting a band from scratch is a major pain in the ass. The flake factor takes hold, or I'll get some guys together that might be able to make a go of it, except that someone's ego get's in the way from day one and ruins the whole {censored}ing thing.

One memorable instance was when I found a singer on Craigslist, and then a friend of his was interested in playing guitar, and then we found a drummer that wanted in...........it all came together in less then a month. Everything was sounding awesome, we all had some material to bring to the table. Then, all hell broke loose.

The drummer was really interested in recruiting us for his band, with an extensive back catalog of material and such. The singer wanted no part of that, and instead wanted to change the format from a hard rock, Zeppelin-type 4 piece to a Train inspired top-40 band. Not that I have anything against Train, I loved their first 2 albums, but it wasn't the direction I wanted to go. Lastly, the singer sent an e-mail to the guitar player, insulting the drummer, and accidentally copied everyone in on it. It was all downhill from there.

Archived