Battle of the Bands: I'm Gonna Be A Judge

Thunderbroom

• Members

The college where I work is hosting a BOTB at the end of next month. I just received an email from the head judge asking me to be one of the three judges for the event. He was given my name by my theory instructor. The other judge works in my department in the school's auto shop and is a guitarist.

I've never done this sort of thing. It seems like it could really be fun. It's running for four hours on a Friday night.

Any of you folks ever judged one of these type of events?

• Members

The college where I work is hosting a BOTB at the end of next month. I just received an email from the head judge asking me to be one of the three judges for the event. He was given my name by my theory instructor. The other judge works in my department in the school's auto shop and is a guitarist.

I've never done this sort of thing. It seems like it could really be fun. It's running for four hours on a Friday night.

Any of you folks ever judged one of these type of events?

I can assure you that when the BOTB is over there will be exactly one band that thinks you have a clue.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I had a blast!

Here's the MySpace of the winner:

So Yesterday

They were my first choice overall. They're all ~19 and were just tight as hell. There was only one other band that even came close in my book.

Heroes Rust

They happened to be my second choice as well.

There was one band there that I really enjoyed; however, they had a meltdown midset when they stopped in the middle of a song (twice) and complained that they couldn't hear themselves. If they turned their amps down, they would have been able to hear. I chalk it up to inexperience on their part. Had they not melted down, they may have come in third.

• Members

I had a blast!

Here's the MySpace of the winner:

They were my first choice overall. They're all ~19 and were just tight as hell. There was only one other band that even came close in my book.

They happened to be my second choice as well.

There was one band there that I really enjoyed; however, they had a meltdown midset when they stopped in the middle of a song (twice) and complained that they couldn't hear themselves. If they turned their amps down, they would have been able to hear. I chalk it up to inexperience on their part. Had they not melted down, they may have come in third.

The winners sound really fun! good call... were they instrumental last night? I think vocals could really make or break the songs on myspace...

• Members

The winners sound really fun! good call... were they instrumental last night? I think vocals could really make or break the songs on myspace...

What do you mean "were they instrumental"?

:confused:

We gave each 40 minutes to setup and play. It went very smoothly as we ran over by about 7 minutes which I thought was great considering it was a 4.5 hour event.

The top two bands were on a totally different level than the other five. They were clearly the best two. From "So Yesterday"'s website, they say they sound like Fall Out Boy if the lyrics were written by Blink 182. I say that's accurate. They were very entertaining.

• Members

What do you mean "were they instrumental"?

:confused:

We gave each 40 minutes to setup and play. It went very smoothly as we ran over by about 7 minutes which I thought was great considering it was a 4.5 hour event.

The top two bands were on a totally different level than the other five. They were clearly the best two. From "So Yesterday"'s website, they say they sound like Fall Out Boy if the lyrics were written by Blink 182. I say that's accurate. They were very entertaining.

Ha, my bad... I only listened to the first 30 seconds of two of the songs. I'm pretty stupid when I roll out of bed :D

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Bumpin' the thread because I judged this year's battle as well this weekend. The bands were much better overall this year though we only had 5 bands.

Here's the winner (and my overall favorite):

http://www.myspace.com/polymnianyx

At one point the guitarist was playing this cool percussion instrument that I'd never seen before. It was u-shaped and had a cone on each end. It's played much like a cowbell.

Check out the track "Guitarmagedon". For some reason, I love this tune. I gave them my contact info and am going to buy a CD when they finish it. I also bought a tshirt and am wearing it at our gig on Saturday night.

Edit: The percussive instrument is called an agogo bell.

Archived