Bass chord shapes

bob_spez

• Members

When I look at videos of 60's bass players, alot of them,

including Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, seem to be using chord shapes (maybe a pair of octaves)

with their left hand, and then playing strings with pick or fingers for several notes, then changing chord shapes.

I haven't seen any bass instruction on playing this way. All the bass instruction I have seen has fretting and playing individual bass notes.

Does anyone play this way, and are there web sites

that lay out the chord shapes and how to use them?

Thanks for any info on this.:cool:

• Members

I like to use power chords to end songs, but that's about it. Chords just aren't practical for bass with the string spacing and neck length.

What I'm seeing is not playing chords on bass (not playing more than one string at a time) but setting all four fretting fingers at once then playing a few notes without

moving individual fretting fingers until the whole fretting hand moves to a new shape. It looks like the bass player is

following the chord changes in the song.

• Members

If the hand doesn't move, but all the fretted notes are played individually, it would be similar to a guitar player picking a chord rather than strumming it.

It is possible to fret three and four note chords on any bass, then play the notes individually.

My guess is the bassists you are seeing are probably former guitar players, self-taught on the bass who know that as long as they are playing notes from the guitarist chords, they will play the right notes. Since they already know the chord shapes as a whole, they just fret it that way on the bass for familiarity sake?

I dunno...:confused::blah:

• Members

maybe that "chord" atitude comes from a director/producer/Player saying something like this:

"hey you, the guy next to the drummer, you dont look like a guitar player.. do it right!"

i saw that {censored} even in the 80'

thats a syndome of really old pop music, or a really bad bass player

• Members

i think that "chord" atitude comes from a director/producer/Player saying something like this:

"hey you, the guy next to the drummer, you dont look like a guitar player.. do it right!"

i saw that {censored} even in the 80'

thats a syndome of really old pop music, or a really bad bass player

wow.....never thought of that. Pretty scary, but I wouldn't doubt it.

• Members

When I look at videos of 60's bass players, alot of them,

including Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, seem to be using chord shapes (maybe a pair of octaves)

with their left hand, and then playing strings with pick or fingers for several notes, then changing chord shapes.

I haven't seen any bass instruction on playing this way. All the bass instruction I have seen has fretting and playing individual bass notes.

Does anyone play this way, and are there web sites

that lay out the chord shapes and how to use them?

Thanks for any info on this.
:cool:

I love this computer in the lobby! ( I am at work on break at my houseband job)...

Anyhoo...

I use chords all the time. Now, I am mainly a four string player but I will use chord partials (using some - but not all -the notes of chord) almost at any given moment.

If you understand chord construction ( the individual elements that make up a chord i.e. rt-3rd-5th= Major, rt-m3rd-5th = minor, rt-3rd-5th-dom7= dom7, rt - 3rd - 5th -dom7-9 = dom9 chord, etc), you can use your creativity to construct chords and partials:

Partial example: a minor7 chord for 4-string

-------x-------

-------x-------

---------------

-------x-------

OR (Am7 example)

-----12---------

-----10---------

-----12---------

----------------

Here is a partial chord shape for Em11

-----14---------

-----12---------

----------------

-----12---------

If I add tapping to it, the chordal/harmonic possibilities are endless

The bottom line is to learn theory/chord construction that will enable you to construct these "on the fly", if need be, and it helps for playing arpeggietically within the framework of a song and a solo as well......

• Members

While I do recommend it for more reasons than one, not all bass players need to know all there is about chords. It depends a great deal on the style of music you play.

If you play Jazz, or Blues, or anything built diatonically... then you better have uber-talent if you don't know your chords.

As for playing chords on the bass, I don't do it at all. I've never been in a situation where I needed to, and I think it needs to be done very tastefully. With 4 or 5 strings, I wouldn't even consider it. Once you play more than 2 notes at once, all you hear is mud. But with 6 or 7 strings... you have a lot more options that will stand out in the upper frequencies.

'Course... that's just my opinion. I approach the bass a very specific way. And playing chords is not part of my mode of thought. Arpeggios are a different story. :)

And I don't think that any pop music incorporated a whole lotta bass chords... especially in the 60's and 70's. At least, I've never noticed them used on any recordings.

• Members

I frequently use the 10th when I play...mostly at the end of songs.

I use 10ths a fair amount. THey aren't just for watermelon man. On a 6, I can also grab a 12 (or whatever the octave of the 5th is). Another useful thing is to use flat fifths to outline a 7th chord. E.g.

g--12

d--11

a--

e--

Implies an A7.

General rule is to keep the intervals pretty wide or aim high to avoid mud.

• Members

There are chords all over the neck. There are some where you can incorporate both open strings and high fretted notes.

ex.

A major 7:

G----13----

D----11----

A----0-----

E----12----

One like I like to use in drop D is a 3-octave spread using only the D note:

G----19----

D-----0----

A----17----

D-----0----

It's simple but it sounds massive.

• Members

Yep, and that octave thing I was telling ya' about looks like this"

-----4-----

-----x-----

-----2-----

-----x-----

or you can switch it up, so long as you move over two strings and up two frets, that way you'll be playing the higher octave with the lower and it really sound sweet, especially if you use your thumb on the lower string and first finger on the upper at the same time.

• Members

Chords just aren't practical for bass with the string spacing and neck length.

I don't agree with that. It takes a bit of practice (as with anything) but without question it's do-able. Also, it can help tremendously when you really need to fill out a part, like when you're in a 3-peice and the guitarist breaks into a solo.

Archived