Who's Rockin' 18" drivers?

James Hart

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I honestly think a great pair of 15"s would work better than a single 18" with that head, and deliver closer to the sound you're looking for. One cabinet or two.
;)

A trace 400 watt 2x15" just came up on Talkbass cheap.... it's been a though all a long. I keep remembering that 4x12 + 1x18" rig and the looks of shock and fear it got from people.

If the BW doesn't have what I need... a Beyma or some other beefy 18" will.

• Members

Yo James, I know your a big fan of Delano pickups but have you had any experience with the SBC5 HE/S-4? My bass is, if it could be put into percentages, .000000001% from being exactly where I want it and I'm getting rather desperate.

I've only played my MC7-FE... I'm getting the big pole PJ set for my Destroyer soon though. Search TB for delano... a guy just reviewed his soapbars.

• Members

cool, part of my looking into this one is that I play a guitar like style on a 7 string... swapping out the 10"ers for some webers should give me better "guitar through tubes" tone to my top end.

Plus I don't play metal or anything heavy.... no sonic wall to bust down. I match to the drummer, the rest sit within us. I won't play with an out of control volume situation (that's why it floors me the EW popped! I had my volume on 4)

Part of my problem was that we were in a rehearsal space with 18' corrugated ceilings that measured 25'x40' with sheetrock walls. The drums sounded like the space shuttle launching in there, and that 1820 couldn't get loud enough. If I put it in with my band now, it would be massive overkill.:D

I've thought about doing a 1x18 with a 2x10 on top, but my 2x12 is such a great standalone that I probably won't bother, at least for a while...

C7

• Members

Isn't that box too small to let 2 10s and an 18 really shine?

:confused:

Seems like if you plugged in the specs WinISD would take issue...

I think the tens are in a separate sub-enclosure and that cab is just the right size for a BW 18.

I'm sorry, that was yet another talkbassish response.

That cab is teh roxxors. U R a genious for coming up with such a brillany idea. Taht thing wil rawk so hard, espeshially with teh Webbers. It will be pure sex with your big {censored}in tube amp.

James Hart Pwns all!!!1!!1!!!11!!! [/HCBF]

• Members

Screw that, just have a cab built.

1 18 and 4 10s. It could be done in a cab about the same size as an Ampeg 8x10.

Maybe.... just maybe. You offering to quote me on one? I'd be 1x18" plus 2x12" Beyma 18G40 and 2 webers...

or maybe I'll pick up the P.Audio BM-18LF us speaker is blowing out for $180... specs look good but I'm not familiar with them

• Members

The Beyma 18G40 is a $300 speaker and the Weber High power series guitar speakers go for $190 a pop.

Materials would be roughly $800 assuming that you'd want Tweed.

I'd be inclined to recommend the Eminence Omega Pro 18. It like a smaller box than the Beyma and is $100 less.

My point isn't so much that I'd want to build it for you, but you're spending an awful lot of money just experimenting when you already know that you want to go big and you have a pretty good idea of what speakers will get you what you want.

• Members

Weber High power series guitar speakers go for $190 a pop.

1/2 that! Ceramic suits me fine... no need for the AlNiCo stuff.

I hear ya on wasting moneys.. but what the cab cost and the $175 or so I'll spend on the pair of webers, caps, resisters, wire and speakon jack. It's not breaking me, it's fun. If the big cab is a bust... I'll build myself a nice little 2x10 cab out of the drivers. I did run a home remodeling company for a few years.... I just don't have a good work area for projects like cab building

What's your thoughts on that P.audio driver?

Archived