Who's Rockin' 18" drivers?

James Hart

• Members

I'm mid rig shakeup again....

The El Whappo sounded stellar, but the Classic 400 was too much for it with the pillow of lows I like.... and I popped the Eminence Neo 15" in it :rolleyes: plus the thing was just TOO MUCH dang money!!!!

The Schroeders kicked... but had no real lows (all low mids for cut, no beef).

The Bag Ends were a more refined version of the Schroeders to me.... nicer with the punch / cut focused a tad higher.

The Yamaha 118 PA sub and Kustom 412 loaded with EVM-12L drivers was HEAVEN.... the best rig I've ever played through or owned. But it was Biamped and I don't want to carry 2 tube heads these days...

NEXT ATTEMPT AT A SOLUTION:

a Peavey 1820 :thu:

This one will be here by Thursday

1820.jpg

I'm thinking of building a new crossover and swapping the 10" Scorpions with some drivers from Ted Weber (most likely a Texas & Chicago Ceramic 10") to give the top end of my 7 more "guitar through tubes" edge.

Oh, there is a shop close by that does restro on cabs.... Mmmmm tweed with metal grill :eek:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn, by the time you do all of that, you could have just paid someone to build you a cab loaded with a top of the line 18 and a pair of guitar speakers.

:freak: and people say TB is full of attitude riddled gear snobs

I am building a DIY High pass for the $70 each 10 drivers. I have always planned to have my "final choice" recovered in tweed to match my head and rack. I could most likely do it myself, but I'd rather pay to have it done right.... and in looking into a local tube tech that was recommended to me, his site mentions recovering/rebuilding as a regular service. If the price is ridiculous, I will just do it myself.

I know the Black Widow 18" pretty well... especially at the price of this box it, suits me.

AFTER the upgrades it's still cheaper than the top of the line 18" drivers I would consider building a box around... let alone paying someone like you to build it.

• Members

I have what appears to be the same cab - 2 tens and and 18" Black Widow - but mine's labeled an "1810", instead of an "1820" - and I like it very much... By itself, it sounds great(gets plenty low and deep, without having to use excessive volume - yet is also clear) - but when I put my 410TXF on top, it CRUSHES!!!! I found that it gets even better low end response when being used as a bottom cab when laid on it's side instead of being left upright...

I'm sorta eyeing an 1820 at the moment for $150 - and it's described as being two tens and an 18" Black Widow - I wonder what the difference is between an 1810 and an 1820 - might give me an excuse to drop Peavey a line and see what they say...

I've also considered swapping out the 10" Scorpions in my cab - although I was thinking about replacing them with a pair of Sheffields like I've got in my 410TXF - I really like those for 10s...

On my cab, I removed the alum trim pieces from the grill, and the badges - and it looks much better that way...

The only other thing I can add about these cabs is to make sure yours has a good set of casters - they're no lightweight cabs...

- georgestrings

• Members

the 1810 is the smaller brother to the 1820

The 1820 is 36" tall x 26" wide x 20" deep @ 130lbs

the drivers are:

2x Scorpion S1025-8 Ohm

1x 1801-4 Ohm LT (4 ohm BW 18")

The 1810 was slightly smaller and lighter... and handled a little less wattage I think

1820-plate.jpg

I play mostly soul to prog to jam typed jazz... I plan to give the 10" Webers 100hz up so that should help the cab speak a bit clearer. I'm also thinking of resting it on it's side to gain a little from the 10"ers being vertical. I'll wedge the front for a little tilt too :thu:

• Members

The only other thing I can add about these cabs is to make sure yours has a good set of casters - they're no lightweight cabs...

Have you seen my head? It's a 100lbs Peavey tube head. If you pass on the 1820, I might be interested ;) and I'm upgrading my hand truck ASAP!

• Members

Good luck. I hope it works well for you. I'd expect some speaker changes would be in order - as you are already contemplating. The 1820 has a rather low wattage rating to be the only thing plugged into that beastly amp. I know the lows and power the 400 puts out (and that particular 400 especially!) and it seemed to me to be hard on cabs. The 2 1820s I owned (not while I had the 400 though) were very well made, and in like new condition. It seemed to me the 10s were fine - they looked like guitar speakers, but I believe the crossover protected them from the lowest of the lows. The 18s, sadly, had a sort of indistinct "brown" floppy sound, and each of my cabs was only seeing around 200 watts. Maybe the drivers were tired, and doubtless we use different tones and volumes so hopefully yours will be fine.

The Bergantino 15" subs I used gave several times the bass, clear and without complaint. They were still a bit big though, so when I decided to make the rig into something I could transport myself in a small car I switched to the Bag End D12E cabs I have now, following the example of a controversial but experienced Talkbass poster and my own research. They don't seem loud to the ears; the 2X10 I use with them generates most of my audible tone, but they are certainly hugely present, underneath everything and impossible to drown out but not stepping on the mix.

In any case an interesting experiment, essentially you'll be able to compare some of the very highest end, boutique cabinets to an old cab that anyone in the US can pick up for $100 or so. You can always take the speakers out and have the hippest playhouse or doghouse on the block.

• Members

the 1810 is the smaller brother to the 1820

The 1820 is 36" tall x 26" wide x 20" deep @ 130lbs

the drivers are:

2x Scorpion S1025-8 Ohm

1x 1801-4 Ohm LT (4 ohm BW 18")

The 1810 was slightly smaller and lighter... and handled a little less wattage I think

1820-plate.jpg

I play mostly soul to prog to jam typed jazz... I plan to give the 10" Webers 100hz up so that should help the cab speak a bit clearer. I'm also thinking of resting it on it's side to gain a little from the 10"ers being vertical. I'll wedge the front for a little tilt too
:thu:

I don't have my 1810 handy to measure(it's at a rehearsal space), but looking at the pic of your 1820, and by judging the way the drivers look in the enclosure, I've gotta say that mine and yours are the same size... Also, I'm pretty sure that the power ratings are the same - 400 and 200 - although I'll check to make sure... Mine also has the same drivers(two 10" Scorpions and one 18" Black Widow) - so I can't imagine why the ratings would be any different... I wonder if the crossover on mine is not the one it's supposed to have??? Things that make you go hmmm...

As for upright or on it's side - as a stand alone, mine works it's best upright, but really shines as a bottom cab when on it's side - although I would imagine that two of those on their sides as a stack would be spectacular... I play mostly hard rock and metal - but I can see these cabs working well for just about anything...

I won't be able to pick up that 1820 for awhile - but I can PM a link to you if you want...

- georgestrings

• Members

Like said, the BW is shy on watt handling. Money aside, the JBL 2242H would be my replacement choice.... but money IS important and a $650 driver is not getting bought!!!!

Something in me wants to hear my rig through a Ciare 18.00SW but if the BW don't cut it, a Beyma 18G40 is what I'll buy for this cabinet.

Kyle, The biggest problem I see with the cab is the 500Hz crossover. My new set up will have the 10" on a high pass filter set at 130Hz. More mids and personality coming through 10" webers should cure that. and the 18 will low pass @ 600Hz... but I'm thinking of letting it run full range.

• Members

I liked my 1820 until I tried to run it with more than 300w. I couldn't get it loud enough to keep up with the heavy rock band I was in at the time.

I think my 2x12 goes lower louder than the 1820 did. The 1820 farted alot.

Just my 2 cents. It's not a bad sounding cab, I just couldn't get the low-end volume I wanted out of it.

C7

• Members

The 1820 is too small to be tuned any lower than most any other cabinet.

Best bass cabs I've heard:

I spoke to Andy Lewis the other day on the phone... nice guy. He recommends a B-2 run with my Classic 400 all tube head. I don't need loud, but a pair of low sensitivity 10" drivers in a tiny box IS NOT gonna cut it. I've also spoke a lengths with guys that own / or owned this 1820, various Acme and Accugroove stuff AND power with all tube rigs.... Seems an awful lot of drivers get replaced on those Acmes.

no Acme

no bergantino

no accugroove

no swr

I BOUGHT the Peavey and I'm directing this thread to others here using 18" drivers.

• Members

I liked my 1820 until I tried to run it with more than 300w. I couldn't get it loud enough to keep up with the heavy rock band I was in at the time.

I think my 2x12 goes lower louder than the 1820 did. The 1820 farted alot.

Just my 2 cents. It's not a bad sounding cab, I just couldn't get the low-end volume I wanted out of it.

C7

cool, part of my looking into this one is that I play a guitar like style on a 7 string... swapping out the 10"ers for some webers should give me better "guitar through tubes" tone to my top end.

Plus I don't play metal or anything heavy.... no sonic wall to bust down. I match to the drummer, the rest sit within us. I won't play with an out of control volume situation (that's why it floors me the EW popped! I had my volume on 4)

• Members

The 1820 is too small to be tuned any lower than most any other cabinet.

Best bass cabs I've heard:
http://www.acmebass.com/

you know....I keep coming back and reading this and can't help but think I posted on Talkbass not HCBF :confused:

I play a 7 string bass through a 400 watt all tube head. I like distortion, I'm installing 10" guitar speakers that one is described as "Loud, early breakup, very crunchy, aggressive" and the other "Loud, warm, crunch and punch, later breakup".... these are raunchy blues & hot county pickin' replacements for nasty old Fender tube combos. I'm wanting 18" for big loose & sloppy lows.

My ideal tones come from cats like Chris Squire, Tony Franklin, John Wetton, Bob N, Joseph Lucky Scott, George Porter, Tyrone Brown... but also, some 70s guitarists mixed in.

In response to your first statement: Who cares, it's a cheap discontinued cab from a workin' mans company

and in response to your second statement: good for you, it'll suck ass for my needs.

Archived