PA bins as bass cab? Old Peavey SP2s...

Billy Irish

• Members

Got two of these: 1x15" woofer with horn, 150w continuous/300 program, 8 ohms each.

I could get a 300w head and use one at 8 ohms or string them together for 300w at 4 ohms.

Would this sound just awful, or is that the speaker end of a servicable rig?

All opinions/advice appreciated.

• Members

Got two of these: 1x15" woofer with horn, 150w continuous/300 program, 8 ohms each.

I could get a 300w head and use one at 8 ohms or string them together for 300w at 4 ohms.

Do they look like these (SP2A's)

PeaveySpeaker.jpg

If so, and the drivers are all in good shape, then they will sound good (not great, but good). I have a pair of them, and we drive them with one side of a 500/500 Yamaha powered mixer without issue. We don't put kick drum or bass through them though.

• Members

Hammer, those speakers say 150 watts handling capacity on the back. Is that true--or anywhere near true?

I don't really need them to sound great--good would be more than fine...servicable would be enough. It would save me purchasing a cab loud enough to get heard in my basement practice space with a noise band and allow me just to get a head.

• Members

It would be very seriviceable. You wont be causing any brown notes, but the bass will definately be there.

• Members

I use my SP2's as when I need an larger than a 20-watt practice amp. I have about 200-watts to push into one of the at 8-ohms. Mine have bi-amp inputs so I plug into the Low and just use the 15". While they are rated for 150-watts (mine are 300-watts) They start to honk long before they get up to 200-watts when used just for bass. The cabinet is just not tuned low enough for serious, loud bass. I have a line on an Avatar 115 and plan on adding a 210. For now the SP2s are what I got.

Archived