i'm not a badass

A5thdiad

• Members

there really isn't a "magic" or voodo to Badass. ...they were just "the first".

The first meaning the first, high-end, replacement bridge that was readily available.....back in the 70's.

If you take a look at old-style Fender bridges and saddles, you can see that they leave a lot to be desired in the area of intonation and adjustment. The Leo Quan BadAss bridge addressed all that. So, for people of my generation, it is still "the standard". There are, however, better bridges out there today.

I think one of the best bridges going is by Hipshot.

I for one, don't believe the whole "mass" thing. I think density is the factor really. With two bridges of equal density, the larger one is going to have more mass. I remember "back in the day", we were putting these heavy as crap, brass bridges on our P's and J's. Well, you don't see them anymore. It's one of those "sounds good on paper" things.

• Members

If you look at their website, you'll read stuff like "made of special magical musical metal".

But the question I have now, is if the oldschool 70s stock bass bridges were limited, are the modern J and P-bass bridges better these days, or is Fender still doing the same ole thing?

• Members

If you look at their website, you'll read stuff like "made of special magical musical metal".

But the question I have now, is if the oldschool 70s stock bass bridges were limited, are the modern J and P-bass bridges better these days, or is Fender still doing the same ole thing?

Same thing since the 60s or so.

• Members

There are, however, better bridges out there today.

I think one of the best bridges going is by Hipshot.

Indeed...

I've got the Hipshot on my Reverend, the Badass on my Geddy, and a Schaller Roller Bridge on my other Jbass.

The Badass is nice, but it's not special, they're all three roughly the same. If pressed I would probably rate the Hipshot slightly better, and the Schaller and Badass as nearly identical.

Archived