Swiching between two basses?

jmb374

• Members

Here's something I've been wondering. I now have two basses so I can suck twice as hard. I find myself swiching between them a lot. One is active, one is passive.

I find myself constantly unplugging one and plugging in the other, which also means swiching between the amps passive and active inputs. Should I be concerned about wearing out the inputs on the amp? Is there a contraption (footswich?) that allows me to swich between the basses and the amp inputs?

I just now tried plugging them both in to the amp and rolling off of the volume of the one I'm not using. Is there anything wrong with this approach?

Am I making any sense?

• Members

Here's something I've been wondering. I now have two basses so I can suck twice as hard. I find myself swiching between them a lot. One is active, one is passive.

I find myself constantly unplugging one and plugging in the other, which also means swiching between the amps passive and active inputs. Should I be concerned about wearing out the inputs on the amp? Is there a contraption (footswich?) that allows me to swich between the basses and the amp inputs?

I just now tried plugging them both in to the amp and rolling off of the volume of the one I'm not using. Is there anything wrong with this approach?

Am I making any sense?

so what do you have one tuned in drop d or something?

turning off the volume on theBass is the most practical thing to do or use a volume foot switch routed to your amp either way will work

• Moderators

You should not be concerned about wearing out the input jacks of the amp or the basses. If you do, good for you for playing as much as you have! But more importantly, it take more time to pull out my tools than it does to fix a jack and they only cost about $1.50 each. http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=10885&pg=13964&id=2113310

Don't forget to unplug the cable from your active bass when you aren't playing it or you will needlessly drain the battery.

• Members

Are you looking for something to gig with, or just for use at home? If for home only don't waste money on something when all you need to do is unplug one and plug in another. You will not wear out any jacks. If you need a system for gigging look at the boss pedal mentioned, that would easily do what you want. Adding in patch bays and such will get complicated if you don't need it.

The method I use for two basses is I have a wireless transmitter pack on each one, each set up for the proper gain on each bass. All I have to do to switch basses is turn off the pack, put down the bass, pick up the other bass and turn on it's pack. Done. I still have to unplug from the bass though to prevent battery drain, as you will on your active.

Archived